fruity loops and long samples

jimmychan

Is there any way of using song-long samples in fruity loops easily. What I mean is, if I want to record a guitar track that lasts throughout the song without being looped, is this possible in fruity loops? Obviously I can record the track elsewhere, import the entire thing into fruity loops and trigger it at the beginning of the song. But if I want to edit things in the middle of the song, Fruity Loops won't trigger the sample if I play the song from the middle! Or, I could attempt to cut the long sample into bar-long samples, but this means I could end up with hundreds of different samples in the step-sequencer?

So is there any way, or any plugin, which will allow me to do what I want to do? (I hope this question made sense)

Jim

I don't think so. You are trying to treat fruityloops like a multitracker, but it isn't. You could break the guitar solo into smaller wav files that get triggered every four measures instead of one long sample. I don't know how intense your fruityloops part is, but in general I think people export the fruity stuff to wavs and then import those into a multitracker with the guitar solo and vocals or whatnot. Sorry I wasn't of much help.

I'm pretty sure this can be done without chopping up your long sample. You'd need to switch to Song mode (as opposed to Pattern mode) and then create a song out of different patterns - one pattern will just contain that sample and will only occur once in the beginning of the song.

No, that won't work. Fruity loops is a sequencer. If the trigger for the long sample is at the beginning of the song, and you start playback from the middle of the song, the long sample won't be triggered.

What you need to do is export beats into a multitracking application. OR you could try to snag a copy of Acid Pro, which is sort of a multitracker in a sequencer's disguise.

Slackmaster 2000

No, that won't work. Fruity loops is a sequencer. If the trigger for the long sample is at the beginning of the song, and you start playback from the middle of the song, the long sample won't be triggered.
So, what you're saying is that it will work? ;)

It will work, if you only play from the beginning of the song to the end of the song. If you try to do any editing at all, or start from any different spot in the song, it won't work. In addition, I have had weird results in fruity, including crashes, when using really long wav files. You're better off either getting a real multitrack app, breaking your guitar parts into 4 or 8-bar loops, or getting another "tracker" program like Orion that does support audio tracks.

j said:
why not just get Sonar or the new Cubase?

New Cubase? isn't that about £800 or something? jeeez :-) Yeah, I don't think it would work in fruityloops (which isn't $800!), thanks for the answers anyway, I might try and get myself a cheapy multitracker or summat.

Jim

Yeah, the new Cubase will probably be pricey....I was kinda hoping that since Cakewalk is now distributing Fruity Loops they might make their stuff work along with Fruity Loops like Reason works withCubase/Logic/Sonar via ReWire...or make it work as some sort of plug in so that you could mix all your audio tracks and FL tracks together.....I did something similar to what you are trying a while back..Only I broke the guitar up into loops like Charger suggested...Didn't turn out too bad....Plus you don't have to record the entire guitar track since you can use the same loop more than once.....However, if you are ultimately trying to mix a bunch of sequenced stuff with audio tracks I think your best bet is going to be something like Sonar 2.0 or Cubase (or a baby version of either, which shouldn't be too expensive).

I've used long samples in fruity loops and have never had a problem
the key is (like what was mentioned above)
you can't edit the middle patterns with that sample if the trigger for the sample isn' in that pattern
so at best you would only be able to edit a small fraction
depending on how long you set your patterns to be

Back