Fruity Loops, Acid Pro, Band In A Box, or a drum machine -- Which One?

kyoun1e

I'm looking to add...something...to my current pc setup that allows me to:

1. Add drum loops and other instrument loops to guitar recordings in order to communicate my ideas better, and
2. Add / play loops in order to hear and jam along with my guitar

I'm confused by all the options -- Fruity Loops Studio, Acid Pro, Acid Music, Band In A Box, or just a plain old drum machine. I'm looking for the best combination of price and simplicity because I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

My current setup:

* Dell 5100 notebook (no soundcard)
* M-Audio Pre-amp
* Guitar Tracks Pro recording software
* Gibson SG Standard guitar

What above would best meet my needs and why?

Please help the totally confused.

Thanks. KY

Acid is the easiest to use. I say that as a person who doesn't like it or use it. It's very simple to drop in loops, line them up, stretch them out, etc.

That said, FLStudio is better and cheaper (though not easier). If you can program a drum machine in grid mode, or understand how to use a piano roll, you can use FLstudio. And if you really get into it, you can do amazing stuff with it.

Why don't you like Acid? Too elementary?? Or are the features and benefits fundamentally different?

Fruity sounds like it has more meat on it, but it's more difficult...which is not good.

KY

i have never used guitar tracks but i thought that was the idea of it... to allow guitar players to add some background stuff their music. doesn't guitar tracks allow you do this?
I'm planning on getting sonar 3 for this reason I want to use midi and sampling to beef up my bands stuff... i'm pretty excited about it. I like sonar cause it's all one.

I don't like Acid for my own use because I don't like making my music based on loops that other people have created. It's fun for jamming, but it's not my creation, and chances are there are 1000 other guys out there using the exact same loop.

I hear you on making your own music, but I would use non-guitar loops -- drums, bass, etc. -- stuff I don't play. I don't have any other way to do this unless I get in a real studio. Jamming along to loops would also be a great way to learn. Currently I just play along to...nothing.

Sounds like Acid and Fruity provide the same benefits.

KY

I'm a die hard Acid Pro 4 freak. Doing one man band kinda stuff. I've tried lots of stuff and haven't found anything I like except Acid. It really works for everything great exepct it can't record more than 2 tracks at a time and it can't do real time plugins on a track you're recording... If Sony added these 2 features to it in a future version, it would be perfect for someone like me. I like editing in a grid that I can zoom in and out. Great for loops, but it's also very easy to go beyond loops, and create enitre songs with it. I've used it a little with midi and it's okay. The only beef I have wih the midi is can be kinda confusing loading up the correct patch of a vurtual synth you want....

wow i'm impressed with those drums.... especially the snare. haha the washboard is a bit much at the beginning though

Isn't acid pro 4.0 like $350? Is this more hardcore than fruity loops?

I don't want to spend tons and then be overwhelmed. Somebody rank Acid, Fruity, and BIB in terms of a) Degree of difficulty to use, and b) Looping for hard rock guy.

Thanks. KY

Charger

you know there are people (including me) who actually record their own sounds/instruments, and just use acid to sequence them, and add effects. Acid is just not for using pre generated loops

peace
LB

I would suggest ACID Pro 4.

Eventhough, FLP can do some amazing stuff.

I would pick ACID.

You can create your own loops and patterns (by using your samples).

You should download demos of both programs, then decide for yourself.

Peace..

spin

I don't want to spend tons and then be overwhelmed. Somebody rank Acid, Fruity, and BIB in terms of a) Degree of difficulty to use, and b) Looping for hard rock guy.
Ease of use: Acid then Fruity.
Looping for Hard Rock Guy: I'd say they're equal. If you can create a drum pattern on a grid there's no reason Fruity is any harder than Acid for that. If you want the intrument loops to be predefined, then Acid is better.
you know there are people (including me) who actually record their own sounds/instruments, and just use acid to sequence them, and add effects. Acid is just not for using pre generated loops
I know that. Didn't sound like that was what this guy was looking for though.
I would pick ACID.

You can create your own loops and patterns (by using your samples).
Yes, but you can do that with FLStudio too. I've been using my own samples for drumkits in FL for 5 years. Also my own loops, vocals, etc. You can record into it too nowadays. With ASIO, you can record multiple inputs at one (I've recorded 16 inputs at once). It won't replace a real DAW, but neither will Acid. And it's serious fun to randomize some patterns and jam to them.
You should download demos of both programs, then decide for yourself.
I agree.

Just to be clear here we are talking about Acid Pro 4.0 which runs over $300. Right?

I'm assuming the Fruity Loops software is the version for $149.

Don't want to buy the lower priced stuff and get screwed.

Thanks for all the help.

KY

Reason 2.5 slays all. I've used Acid 4, but switched to Reason after I tried the demo. It's worth every penny.

The Redrum you can program with such precision it is mind-boggling, and I agree with what someone said before; Acid uses loops that everyone can use, so it's not as original as creating them beat by beat in the roll editor.

I think I'm blind. I don't see where I can download the demos on either Acid Pro 4 or Fruity Loops.

I am pathetic.

KY

Back