Fostex to Reaper Question

Slate the tracks so you can easily align them.

What does "slate" mean exactly in Reaper? Is there a specific slate function in it or is it a process that can be referred to as "slating?" I do have the 8 tracks grouped (so changes to one affect them all) if that's what you mean. The difficulty might lie in getting the next 8 tracks to align with the first 8 tracks. I also have all the clocks set to ADAT so that should help with aligment.

What does "slate" mean exactly in Reaper? Is there a specific slate function in it or is it a process that can be referred to as "slating?" I do have the 8 tracks grouped (so changes to one affect them all) if that's what you mean. The difficulty might lie in getting the next 8 tracks to align with the first 8 tracks. I also have all the clocks set to ADAT so that should help with aligment.

Before you transfer them, record the same sound to all 16 tracks somewhere just before or after the audio. Just one or two sharp clicks will do. You could record to one track and copy to all the others at the exact same spot in the timeline. Then you'll have something to match up across all tracks. And really, you only need the shared sound on one track from each set of eight.

Alternatively, when you're done transferring all the tracks, transfer one track from each set of eight as a pair. Use those to match up the others. You should be able to use a grouping function* to make groups of tracks move together as a set. Group the first eight, then group the second eight, then group the two reference tracks. Line up the first eight to the common track in the pair, then line up the second eight to the track they have in common with the pair. You should be able to match them perfectly, and confirm with a null test on the duplicated tracks (inverting polarity on one copy resulting in silence).

*Could be called something else in Reaper. I mostly use Magix Vegas, which calls locking clips together like this grouping.

Update:

I added the next 8 tracks. I did my best to press play at the right time manually while it was recording. But, it synced up perfectly. I'm assuming this has more to do with the ADAT clocks being in sync than impeccable timing on my part? Not sure. But, either way I'm off to a great start in seeing this project through. Thanks a lot everyone. Please feel free to add if anyone has more helpful tidbits. Now I need to learn the numerous functions of this DAW (Reaper).

Update:

I added the next 8 tracks. I did my best to press play at the right time manually while it was recording. But, it synced up perfectly. I'm assuming this has more to do with the ADAT clocks being in sync than impeccable timing on my part? Not sure. But, either way I'm off to a great start in seeing this project through. Thanks a lot everyone. Please feel free to add if anyone has more helpful tidbits. Now I need to learn the numerous functions of this DAW (Reaper).
It's not a function of ADAT', that's only the stream that tells were each sample goes in a given recording/source stream. When you restart at the binning of a digital recorder, it likely starts at a fairly accurate (repeatable) start point.
How you got the same in coordinating that with hitting 'start on the DAW.. ? :>)

..Would that mean if you zoom in on the 1st and 2nd set's start points, their track front edge lines match too? Curious..

Oh. 'MIDI', and it's been a long time ago.. IIRC was good for like a +/- 30 ms or so window.
'Sync'? Not. :>)

Last edited:
Starting the digi recorder at the top of it's session is the easy part. How'd he get the DAW to do it?
:)

Starting the digi recorder at the top of it's session is the easy part. How'd he get the DAW to do it?
:)

I'm really not sure. I pressed record on the DAW and manually pressed play on the Fostex at very near the same time as the first 8 tracks kicked in on the DAW. If it were off by a few milliseconds it seems like I would notice. But, it sounds right in time with the first 8 tracks. It could possibly be off so slightly that it's inaudible, but I'm not sure about that.

Update:

An ADAT clock issue, I think, would be more likely to result in lining up the starts perfectly but somehow the ends don't meet.
Drift over time....Like if a cassette player ran an low batteries or something.

Assuming no clock issues or anything like that, you'd still have to manually 'place' your sets of eight together.

I'm saying place just to avoid confusion....You might get lucky and get it right or damn close, or there might be a function like Garrw suggested whereby record in your DAW and play on your recorder are triggered together,
but failing that you'd just end up dragging one of your sets around until you have it lined up.

That's why someone (bsg) suggested trying to print a hand clap or something to all 16 tracks earlier...It would serve as a perfect cue for you when lining up.

Anyway, sounds you're killing it. Good work. :)

I think "cueing up" is probably older than recording. I so rarely do multiple trackings that I don't really have a plan, but I had to do different parts for an experiment and it started with a cue up without any thought about it. I also do the transient cue mark when I see I'm going to need it

Back