Focusrite scarlet 2i2 vs Audiobox ione or itwo

paokz

Hey guys...I had one year focusrite scarlet 2i2..Mostly for recording vocals but something happened with phantom power i think..It doesnt give a lot of power so i will buy new one..Which would you recommend me?..Audiobox ione or two have anyone used this audio interface?..I want this rich nice warm tone not like ur22..Thanks!

Hey guys...I had one year focusrite scarlet 2i2..Mostly for recording vocals but something happened with phantom power i think..It doesnt give a lot of power so i will buy new one..Which would you recommend me?..Audiobox ione or two have anyone used this audio interface?..I want this rich nice warm tone not like ur22..Thanks!

If you think there is any tonal differences between the 2i2, the UR22 and the Audiobox you either have a problem with your setup or your head!

You can prove the phantom power situation in about 10 seconds with a digital multimeter.

Dave.

What do you mean?..What should i do?..I read some reviews about ur22..Its uncoloured sound in comparison with focusrite scarlet 2i2..

What do you mean?..What should i do?..I read some reviews about ur22..Its uncoloured sound in comparison with focusrite scarlet 2i2..

What I mean is....A microphone amplifier is a pretty simple bit of electronics and it is naturally "aperiodic" that is, it amplifies ALL frequencies to exactly the same extent, certainly in the 20Hz to 20kHz band we are interested in. It is also a trivial matter with modern (even 30yr old!) integrated circuits to keep distortion to totally inaudible levels, again this too at the sort of signal voltages a modest mic would produce under normal operation.

So, if the response is "flat" and distortion inaudible, what do you think could "colour" the sound of a mic preamplifier? Answer: Nothing! Reviewers of audio equipment these days are sadly very rarely technical, more your beardy,tweaky Russ Andrews type.

And before anyone jumps in and says "The flammilator XE400 sounds WAAAAY better than the dip***t ak2..." Post some .wav clips...Yeah! Tricky ain't it? 'S'why nobody ever does it!

Dave.

Yep but how can i fix the voltage of phantom power?..Can i?

You only said you THINK the phantom power was low or in some way faulty. The first step to fixing something is to ensure you actually HAVE a fault and where.

First put the meter probes into the plug that goes into the mic. Put the negative probe into pin one (it will be marked) then the positive, red probe into pin 2 then pin 3. In both cases you should read 48 volts plus or minus 4 volts. If ok, dismantle the XLR plug and plug it into the microphone (48V won't hurt you unless you have skin like a baby and wet hands and even then just a tingle) Now again measure from pin one to 2 and 3. This time there will be less voltage because the mic is pulling current.

Suppose the microphone draws 3milliamps, a typical value, then that would leave about 38volts on the XLR pins.

If you get zero or very low volts on the mic or still the full 48V there is a very good chance that the mic is faulty. If you give us the make and model of the mic there is a chance we can discover how much current it should draw but a lot of makers are a bit coy about this!

Dave.

Have you tried something as simple as swapping leads? It could just be a microphone cable that's not working properly. Maybe you ran a chair leg over it or something.

yep i tried to switch them but nothing...between those two which has better latency?..And which has better sound?

Last edited:
Back