Focusrite Saffire...

crunkthanamug

Ok, Im searching for the perfect firewire/usb interface for my laptop (intel based pc)... Im really leaning toward the focusrite saffire (to use with an AKG C414 or AT4060 mic). I like the fact it has a compressor built in for use with the inputs. I read in a magazine review of it that the preamps and converters were great too. I really wanted some expert opinions about this combination, rather than just taking the word of some columnist. Number of inputs really doesnt matter to me, as I just want to record my vocals with it. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Im open to other suggestions also. Thanks.

Check this thread from today right here in this same forum.

I have a laptop that I'd love to use to record, but the 4-pin Firewire interface is just not durable enough to stand even a small bump.

If you're going to go with the Saffire I've heard all the good things too --- but solve the interface problem first by going to your local computer store and seeing what your options are for a beefier Firewire port.

The built in effects with the Saffire are not great. Its a neat little unit once you learn its quirks. The TC Konnect24d compression plugins are fantastic, better than most of the stuff near its price range. The Konnect8 is cheaper, but no effects. Still, Id pick it over a Saffire myself after spending lots of time with both of them.

Back