[SOLVED] Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB low output volume

gstoelen

Hi,

Last week I bought a Clarett 2Pre USB which is connected via USB-C to my iMac. I'm using KRK Rokit 6 G2 speakers. The problem is that output levels appear to be very low - I have to turn the monitor knob to at least 5, before a decent volume can be heard. I used to use a Saffire Pro 24 with those speakers before, and I never had to turn the volume up so high (to 2 would be more than enough).

Also, the headphones output is ridiculously low. The speakers are connected to outputs 1-2.
Any tips would be highly appreciated. Or are there people with the same issues on this interface?

I'm a Saffire Pro 26 user and don't have one of those new models - probably go with at T'bolt model when I have $ for the move to a new Mini. Just always been a bit suspicious of bus power - not that powered boxes don't have their own issues. (The whole transition from Thunderbolt 1/2/3 to USB-C is still something I've not dug into with my older systems - been waiting for it to completely settle down, TBH.)

The KRK's probably have a level control on them - if you can get to the same monitoring level between the two controls without any noise, it's not really an issue, IMO, even if the knobs are turned higher. It does mean the output is lower, of course. Headphones, well, I'm surprised they can't get to an acceptable level.

I hope it's that simple.

I'm a Saffire Pro 26 user and don't have one of those new models - probably go with at T'bolt model when I have $ for the move to a new Mini. Just always been a bit suspicious of bus power - not that powered boxes don't have their own issues. (The whole transition from Thunderbolt 1/2/3 to USB-C is still something I've not dug into with my older systems - been waiting for it to completely settle down, TBH.)

The KRK's probably have a level control on them - if you can get to the same monitoring level between the two controls without any noise, it's not really an issue, IMO, even if the knobs are turned higher. It does mean the output is lower, of course. Headphones, well, I'm surprised they can't get to an acceptable level.

I hope it's that simple.

I used a Saffire Pro 24 before and it's just that the difference in output levels appears to be rather huge, but I'll have a go at plugging in the external power supply later. Thx for the tip :)

It's solved. Apparently it was a routing issue: I had to
1) set my monitor outputs to 1-2 only
2) route my custom mix to both outputs 1-2 and 3-4
So now I at least hear a signal coming thru the headphones, and the monitor output is loud enough. I still have to crank the knob up to 5 or so, but that's something I'll have to live with, apparently :)

Back