firewire to Thunderbolt?

timdavis

Hi Newbie here, looking for help.

Need to upgrade my computer but want to keep my good old MOTU 828mk3, which has only firewire out to computer. No firewire available on new machines, so need connection solution to go between FW and Thunderbolt. Are there good reliable adapters available? Or another low $ solution I hope?

Firewire has not been supported in OS X for some time, so, while it might work, I'd probably be looking for testimonials of folks that had used your hardware through an adapter with the version of the OS you've got. I don't think you'll find many, if any, FW interfaces currently supported by their manufacturer in the latest versions of OS X.

I'm using Firewire on an old Mini (which has a FW port) still running Mojave, but I plan to get a new interface when I replace the computer. I won't be upgrading to Catalina or anything newer because of the 64-bit hard switchover, and I just don't want to deal with any incompatibilities that might pop up. (The "upgrade" plan has moved out to some indeterminate future point, given everything else going on in the world right now!)

Firewire has not been supported in OS X for some time, so, while it might work, I'd probably be looking for testimonials of folks that had used your hardware through an adapter with the version of the OS you've got. I don't think you'll find many, if any, FW interfaces currently supported by their manufacturer in the latest versions of OS X.

I'm using Firewire on an old Mini (which has a FW port) still running Mojave, but I plan to get a new interface when I replace the computer. I won't be upgrading to Catalina or anything newer because of the 64-bit hard switchover, and I just don't want to deal with any incompatibilities that might pop up. (The "upgrade" plan has moved out to some indeterminate future point, given everything else going on in the world right now!)

FW is still very much supported. It's a fair while since any new apple computers had a firewire port but it's supported over thunderbolt via the over-priced adapter.
OS wise, there's no issue. I'm running Mojave on a 2009 Mac Pro with firewire interface.
Driver support hasn't been a problem either but, of course, that's just down to the manufacturers.

Motu and Presonus (my interface) have been very good with Apple updates over the years.

I don't have a thunderbolt to FW adapter, for my more recent macbook pro, but as far as I know, if I did, it'd work just fine with my Presonus interface.

Regardless, "I'd probably be looking for testimonials" is always good advice.

We may have different definitions of "supported"... Apple still included Firewire in CoreAudio, but they stopped development some time after Firewire, itself, became a moribund interface spec. From what I've gleaned, they do no development, and I'd bet a worthless dollar that if you called Apple about your Firewire device not working, they'd say buy something new, and if enough of those calls came in, pull the code out of Core Audio.

If the interface support/config apps for your device have any 32-bit code dependencies, they will not work at all in Catalina or later.

Aye, fair enough. I doubt there's support in that way.
There's support in so much as they haven't blocked or removed use and the protocol can be carried over thunderbolt.
If there's manufacturer driver/software support then firewire is still a viable option for many.

True enough, I can see Catalina being the end for a lot of the older apps/control panels. It may be the point where presonus/motu etc decide not to carry on.

Belated, tangential follow-up here. I just cried uncle after watching my ancient Mini take 1 1/2 hours to render a 4 minute video, and pulled out the plastic (in anticipation of my government check - different topic!) for a refurb 2019 iMac.

So, I was looking into the adapter route, but it turns out you need *2* of the Apple adapters, because that first one is FT<->Tbolt2, and you also need the Tbolt2<->Tbolt3 adapter! At that point I'm on my way to a downpayment for a new(er) interface, so I'm going to try and get by using my older Zoom F8 as an interface for a while. I tested it as an input device before but never checked to confirm the F8's main outs are carrying the return mix (headphone out is). Hoping it works as it gives me 8 inputs in a very space-saving form, never mind the additional $ not spent at this time.

I looked at getting a new Mini, but pickings are slim in the refurb area, and configuring one pushed it about where the iMac is $-wise, and that I got with the 27" monitor and will [easily] upgrade memory myself. The Mini will get trundled downstairs where it will supplant the mostly permanently tethered 2010 MBP. Might see if there's a home-schooled kid somewhere that needs a laptop, once I get all this transferring done.

Belated, tangential follow-up here. I just cried uncle after watching my ancient Mini take 1 1/2 hours to render a 4 minute video, and pulled out the plastic (in anticipation of my government check - different topic!) for a refurb 2019 iMac.

Oh, nasty! It still amazes me my Dad's on a 08/09 mac mini blissfully unaware that he's missing anything. It's still perfect for old-man day to day
but, yeah, video rendering's going to hurt. :laughings:

So, I was looking into the adapter route, but it turns out you need *2* of the Apple adapters, because that first one is FT<->Tbolt2, and you also need the Tbolt2<->Tbolt3 adapter!
Damn. It's time to modify my advice then.
I don't go around pushing firewire interfaces but I try to make sure people know they're still an option.
To be honest if two adapters are required, at $3000 each or whatever, new interface or new mac wins for me.

The Mini will get trundled downstairs where it will supplant the mostly permanently tethered 2010 MBP. Might see if there's a home-schooled kid somewhere that needs a laptop, once I get all this transferring done.

You're getting your money's worth, like me!
Wonder what these things have cost you, per year? ;)

Back