Firewire Interface vs. mLAN Interface

rweiss

So I'm wondering what the heck this new mLAN technology is. I've been debating which audio interface to buy. My brother has a Firepod, and I've recorded with it lots. I'm not totally fond of it, though it certainly is nice. I could only ask for better preamps from it. I'm about to purchase a MIDI controller with mLAN compatibility. I'm wondering if someone could provide me with a little more information on how mLAN works. Would I be better of buying an ordinary firewire interface (e.g. something a little better than a Firepod), or can I get the same results with an mLAN interface such as the Yamaha i88X

This thing says it can support 18 simultaneous I/O's with additional inputs through it's digital hookups. So I guess this topic boils down to two questions: Which has less latency, Firewire or ADAT Lightpipe? ...and does anyone know if this Yamaha interface's preamps are better than those on the Firepod's?

Feel free to also state your opinions as to which of these two interfaces (those being the Firepod and Yamaha i88x) is of better quality (not quantity, ie. 8 firepod inputs as opposed to 2 on the i88x).

Thanks,
Ryan

Back