a few curious questions

stevey j

i just noticed while looking in the preferences of audacity that by default ive been recording vocals in 32 bit mode and in mono...when my computer only supports 16 bit mode. i was mainly just wondering what effects this and recording in mono instead of stereo would normally have on a vocal recording...and if anyone has some recomended settings for audacity?

well, first off any single instrument that has one microphone on it should be recorded in mono.
Mono = one

as far as 32 bit....i think it means your computer has 32 bit processing which is rather standard. The actual audio files are being recorded at 16 bit (unless you tell them to record at 24 bit). and it's your soundcard that supports 16 or 24bit, not your computer.

well yes, i know its the soundcard that supports 16/24 bit ..sorry i should have been more clear.

anyways...it said it was recording at 32 bit..rather than 24 or 16 (the two other options it had)...what problems would this cause since my soundcard only supports 16? just curious as to what this would do.

also..i read that you should record in stereo...im just doing vocals right into a mic/xlr into mixer/tape out/line in of my soundcard. wouldnt recording in mono cut out either the right or left frequencies or something? just wondering,

ALSO it said it was using "microsoft soundmaper" as the audio device for recording and playback instead of my soundcards "realtek drivers"

just wondering what these few things would do to a vocal recording if anyone knows.

i'm not familiary with Audacity at all...so I can't really comment on that. I'd say look at your manual and see what it says. There really isn't any need for 32 bit. The head room that you gain would never be needed anyway. You can record to a 32 bit-float file format but only 24 significant bits will be used (the converters on your soundcard max out at 24). People say there are advantages...other people can't hear a difference. I think you'll be fine at just 24.

as for recording in mono vs. stereo....you don't lose anything frequency wise, i'm not sure where you heard that. but if you're using ONE microphone you need to only record to a mono track. Remember mono = one. Stereo tracks are for two microphones, or two signals that are either recording an actual stereo image (ie. overheads of drums) or multiple sounds coming from more than one source. Just tell audacity to make a mono track and to accept the Left from the line in if you can. Having one microphone record to two tracks at the same time just makes the sound louder...it doesn't so anything of significance.

well, thanks for the clearing up on the mono-stereo thing for me...but my question on the soundcard and recording is..

if i record in 24 bit ....when my soundcard only supports 16 bit...will this cause my recordings to sound worse? (rather than if i record them in 16 bit like my soundcard is made for)

AND will recording in audacitys default 'microsoft soundmaper" instead of my normal "soundcard realtek drivers" make my recordings sound worse?

if anyone could answer these questions it woudl be appreciated...i'll of course try for myself when i get back to my recording area..but i want to see what i should expect.

if i record in 24 bit ....when my soundcard only supports 16 bit...will this cause my recordings to sound worse? (rather than if i record them in 16 bit like my soundcard is made for)
Likely not and on the same token ... it won't make them sound any better seeing as how your soundcard is only capable of capturing audio at 16 bit resolution. 32 bit float offers higher dynamic range to help avoid digital clipping through internal DSP. However, then you are faced with the decision of whether to dither or just truncate to get back to 16 bit for CD format.

AND will recording in audacitys default 'microsoft soundmaper" instead of my normal "soundcard realtek drivers" make my recordings sound worse?
Again, I doubt it. You may get better performance via the actual driver for your sound-chip but I doubt the level of quality will be effected.

Back