falling off the cakewalk learning curve

jackdaw

I've been taking my first stab at laying down audio and MIDI tracks with Cakewalk's HomeStudio 8.

Things were going just great till suddenly the metronome track (you know, the closed high-hat?) started magically appearing on my audio tracks.

I've tried eliminating the problem by tweaking and untweaking all the bells and whistles I could lay my mouse on. No go. Cakewalk's HELP files (yikes!) don't mention anything about the problem.

Okay, call me stupid but somebody, please, tell me which button/protocol I am missing.

And while we're at it...

I'm hearing a definite, low-grade background buzz/oscillation through my headphones.

Is this the black helicopters coming or further evidence the SB AWE64 is scraping the bottom of the barrel?

thanks for listening

jackdaw

On the metronome issue, a simple way out of this is to select the PC speaker instead of the MIDI tone in the Metronome Dialog Box. If this ain't loud enough, try sending the metronome part of the MIDI signal somewhere other than to the synth that is feeding your audio IN line (eg, another MIDI synth). If you're recording MIDI with the audio OUT of the MIDI synth hooked up to the audio IN of your soundcard, everything that your synth plays will end up on the audio track. To split up the MIDI signal by PORT you can use a 2 or more MIDI PORT converter.

Back