external mixer to solve the problem

jimbo.jams

Hey all
Further to my thread , which mistake went in newbies ( this may help anyone else with same problem) i want to play my guitar and sing AT THE SAME TIME ,, because im filming it,
For some crazy reason the zoom h4npro does not let you do a seperate effect one for the guitar being played xlr mics and the other for vocals in input 1 and 2 OR MAY I SAY
Anyway round you wish to do it ,, its crazy thAT The effect i put on my guitar goes on the vocal to ,, so sounding awe full ,
Only way is to record separate but if your filming you may not want to do this ,,
MAYBE then an external mixer is the answer with separate effects PRE zoom recorder
ANY THOUGHTS please very kind regards jim

Are you doing a live feed to Facebook or youtube? If not, then maybe record your audio raw and import into a DAW. Apply whatever effects and processing you need then export as a 2-channel file. Import that file into your video editor.

If you're doing a live feed, then yeah, maybe the mixer might be the correct solution.

While the H4n will allow you to do basic multitrack recording, that's not its main focus. Its a portable HANDY recorder. If you want more extensive production capabilities, the R16 and R24 are what you need (or the Tascam Portastudios) if you want to stay in a single unit without using a computer/DAW.

What types of effects are you planning to add? Reverb, echo, amp sims? I agree with Chili, do the audio raw and dump it into your DAW. From there you can change things however you want. It should still sync up with your video just fine.

The H4nPro is a live capture device with a few extras. It's not really a replacement for a multitrack recording setup or a PA system.

If you get a mixer you'll need one with all the effects built in or you'll have to get a stack of outboard gear.

Maybe the simple solution is a Pod type guitar effect and something to process the vocal (dbx 286?) on the way in.

thanks all ,
sounds the way to go , recording raw then throwing it into my DAW , also thanks for advice r.e more upmarket mtr recorder , these answers have solved my issue anyway.
kind regards jim

Why not record straight to the DAW? You might be able to get some live effects going that way. Maybe track raw, with effects only in the monitor mix for inspiration, then fine tune afterward.

Back