'External drive' even remotely an issue?

jojojeronimo

Although, supported by advocates like Gidge, I will probably be buying the Audiophile 2496, Creative's Audigy/Extigy's trappings of 'external drive' and 'remote control' seem so compelling.

Is this a feature M--Audio would ever be bothered with for something inexpensive and lower end like the 2496, and is it even something that would make a difference to guys like you, Gidge?

What I'm saying is, Have i just been lured by a pretty lame frill? or is it a considerable addition to the 'studio', to have that external drive, and laziness-assisting remote?

It's not an external drive, it's an external soundcard that connects via USB to the computer.

M-Audio has something like this called the Quattro.

I could see how having a remote control might be handy...

I think I see what you're trying to do.....

Did you know that most sequencer programs will use a MIDI keybord as a remote control???? You can assign a key or keys (usually on the far right or left where you do not normally play) to trigger a command - stop, play, record, rewind, etc.....

Check out the manual for your sequencer. Remote control keys via a keyboard is VERY powerful and handy.

As for the Extigy.... it's probably going to be another 16-bit "gamer" solution like the Audigy (which is NOT 24-bit). And USB is a horribly narrow pipeline to be shoving audio down. Better to go with Firewire (1394 like the Motu) or a standard PCI card instead.

Back