External Audio interfaces - are they needed for electronic based musicians?

Darryl Feldman

Hi,

I am a semi-newbie and have an important question relating to my general setup and the use of audio interfaces in a mac / usb world.

My setup (hardware)
-MacBook Pro (mid 2015)
-iPad pro / iPad air 2
-External monitor
-Panorama P4 midi controller
-AKAI MPK Mini midi controller
-Blue snowball ICE usb mic
-AIAIAI over ear headphones
-Kanto YU2 mini monitors
-ROLI blocks lightpad & loop controller
-Focusrite Scarlett 212 audio interface

My setup (software)
-Logic Pro X
-Various apps on iPad (synthesizers, drum machines, instruments)
-ROLI studio

Use cases
Currently I am connecting all external devices directly via USB or in some cases bluetooth
-Connecting external midi controllers (Keyboards, drum pads, iPad) and recording into Logic
-Recording iPad instruments into logic
-Arranging and outputting songs from logic
-Recording vocals from external mic
-Monitoring audio with external headphones and monitors
Note: I do not want to record guitars or other live real instruments

Big and main question:
-What would be the main reason based on my setup to use the Scarlett 212 as an audio interface, is it basically redundant?
-If you have a similar setup do you have any tips to optimise for sound quality and ease of managing all the inputs / outputs

Thanks for any insights before I decide to get rid of my Scarlett audio interface!!

Cheers

Darryl

The only "electronic based musician" that doesn't need an audio interface is one that works solely in VST or virtual instruments.

That's not many.

But I wouldn't rid myself of your decent interface. As you progress, you will someday find a need for something that doesn't synthesize or sample very well.

The microphone implies you're doing some vocals. As Ponder5 said, this means you're not purely VSTi based, and you want a decent pre-amp for the live parts.

It's also good to have a decent interface since it will have better digital-to-analog converters than your mac's built-in sound card, so you'll have less noise when you listen back.

Back