Explain to me about Roland drivers, please.

Roland makes an interface, the Rubix44. A number of people have complained about this: "" ......the problem is that under Windows the interface will not work simultaneously with ASIO and Windows system sound; you have to unplug and replug, which is like a stone age solution. Why Roland did that is beyond me because other than that it is a great product""" and """-Not able to use both ASIO and Win drivers for web etc. at the same time. Need to unplug and plug it in to switch - a feature from circa 1997.""

Does that mean that if you are recording (ASIO drivers) and you need to hear something on the internet (Windows drivers) that you have to unplug.......
unplug what, the interface? Is that what must be meant, or something else? Would that be a deal=breaker, or what?
Thanks

Hum, that seems a little strange. I can say this, if the ASIO driver is in use, you might not be able to hear from Windows as the whole point of ASIO is to bypass the OS. But I would think after you close your DAW or what ever is using ASIO, it gives control back to the OS.

I know for both of my interfaces, when I am not in a DAW, they are connected through the OS, but when I am in the DAW, they can't be used for general Windows "stuff" since the DAW/ASIO has control of the interface.

Now, if you have to unplug after the DAW is closed and no longer uses the ASIO, then I would say you have a problem.

I never have this problem as my music computer and my daily driver are different. I do use an interface (Presonus) on my daly driver as I think the sound quality is better and have that hooked up to my large stereo. But I don't use a DAW with it or the ASIO drivers.

Eh? If you are listening to your DAW stuff through phones, can you not take the phones off, put on your computer's Windows phones and listen to internet stuff, with the phones of course plugged into the appropriate outlet?

OK, not sure what you are saying. It isn't about the headphones, but about the card. So, if you have two cards, one for the interface and then say, your on board sound card. Then when you set up your devices, they "should be independent. Your DAW is using one card and Windows is using the other. I can't say with 100% certainty as I use my interface for all of my sounds. But that is more likely a Windows setup, Roland sound card is not used for any Windows sound, everything going to your onboard sound.

Now if your interface is pulling double duty, then it cold be many things, I am in my DAW and as long as the DAW is open, the ASIO driver has the card "locked" and it probably won't share. At least that would be my expectation. Then when you close the DAW, then it should release control over the card. Now, this is where the driver builder or the DAW comes into play. The DAW must release the driver and the driver must release the interface. That is where you will have to test to see which is which.

Open DAW, try it out. Close DAW, can I hear through interface. If it doesn't work, then you try another DAW, I would say like Reaper, because those guys program really well. Is the interface released under another DAW. The results would tell you what is most likely happening. Either way, the interface has to be released. If you have two different ones, card and an interface, then you can configure in Windows how to select which card does what. Your best bet is to tell Windows to use you sound card for everything and only use your interface through DAW/ASIO.

I am not sure if I am helping or making it more confusing.

+1 DM60.
It sounds like the description of the issue is that DAW software takes control of the audio interface and then doesn't 'release' it when you're finished,
so windows/system isn't able to use the audio interface for sound output - Not unless you disconnect/reconnect or restart.

Eh? If you are listening to your DAW stuff through phones, can you not take the phones off, put on your computer's Windows phones and listen to internet stuff, with the phones of course plugged into the appropriate outlet?

This approach suggests you've got Daw>Interface>Headphones then System>build in soundcard>different headphones.
That should work and is one way of working around the issue.

The better way, arguably, is just to get an interface with decent drivers that doesn't have this issue.
I agree...It's like something out of the 90s.

Digidesign (avid) used to have this sort of thing going on with their old interfaces...The 001 etc.
They had software that let you flick between system and daw use.

These days you can reasonably expect most interfaces to just work. Personally I wouldn't want to buy an interface that requires this kind of juggling.

I would have thought that so long as the Roland AI is set as the default playback device in Windows sounds YT etc should still be available through the interface. If OP means that he want the OB Sound card running as a separate source as well? That might be a problem.

"Back in the day" we were always advised to disable OBS (in BIOS if possible) before installing a separate sound device.

Dave.

Open DAW, try it out. Close DAW, can I hear through interface. If it doesn't work, then you try another DAW, I would say like Reaper, because those guys program really well..

As much as I appreciate the cult of Reaper, I think dumping Studio One to get a DAW which might work better on an interface which I don't own would be more than I want to bother with.

Your explanation of who is doing which duty is helpful, thank you.

As much as I appreciate the cult of Reaper, I think dumping Studio One to get a DAW which might work better on an interface which I don't own would be more than I want to bother with.

Your explanation of who is doing which duty is helpful, thank you.

And I wasn't saying dump StudioOne, I was saying use another DAW to determine is it the driver or the DAW (AKA software). That way you know where the complaint should be directed.

Have you looked into the possibility that there is a setting in Studio One that will release the driver when not in use? There is definitely that option in Cubase and it does work there with the 5 interfaces I have used over the last 10 years or so.

If there isn't, then is may just be time to find a new interface that works with your DAW/computer.

No judgment is being made about your software.

"""Roland makes an interface, the Rubix44. A number of people have complained about this:......"""

I have no problem with Studio One, I don't own the Roland. I was reading about the Roland and it seems to have nice features, so I was considering buying it, but the complaints about the cards aroused my caution.

Back