an enviable postion

GRITZ

all,

I am new to this site.

since Christmas I have had a rather enviable position which I find myself in.
my home rig is:

• irig pro 49 keyboard
  • MacBook pro 13'' 256 SSD
  • sampletank 3
  • miroslav philharmonic 2
  • syntronik
  • DAW: REASON 10.2
  • Native instruments konkakt 6
  • native instruments Komplete
  • Arturia collection v

I have over the years built up this collection and my wife very kindly got me the IK multimedia software for Christmas, and heres the rub.

I just don't have the space on my MacBook - I had to get a bigger SSD installed since my last SSD gave up the ghost.

i would like to ask the forum which software would you sacrifice and which would you keep.

in a way its been good clearing out all the synths and plugins i haven't use for a while and keeping it with the new software and what i need from the others.

but its hard, as you grow attached to all the synths, plugins and effects, all the gadgets you always dreamt of.

i would be interested in your replies.

Maybe you could keep everything, but get an external drive and use that for storing samples, libraries etc.

100% the way to go. Put all samples on the external drive. Works fine and the only real downside is the cables. positives ate that you can also shift your video, audio and photo files to it too - as 256 is frankly a really small drive for a working computer. Why apple also charge such crazy sums for their internal storage is another question. Even with my samples on external drives I constantly have to watch my memory. I have clean my Mac 3 on mine and it works pretty well for constantly getting rid of stuff when I get the memory warnings.

+1 to external storage.
Anything large and non essential should go on there.
I keep applications and processing plugins on the main system disk, but sessions and large sample libraries on another.

If you have an older MBP with a cd drive, it's possible to sacrifice that for a 2.5" hard drive caddy and add an internal storage disk,
so it's a separate disk but still 100% mobile.

Just throwing it out there.

Why apple also charge such crazy sums for their internal storage is another question.

If it's an older mac with 2.5" main disk, capacity could be doubled for around £50 or so. (good spec SSD)
If it's newer then it's pcie storage and apple have a proprietary connector there, so I guess they're cashing in on that. Dirty! :p

Still, I find 256gb fine for a system disk, where libraries and sessions are elsewhere.
Probably wouldn't be enough for someone pushing round much bigger media like video.

Also, if you click the apple and go to > About this Mac > Storage,
it will give you a break down of where your storage is being used up.
On an older system you might find you have a lot of wasted space in old downloads, for example.

On an older OS that doesn't have this feature, you can use DaisyDisk or some similar app.

I'd avoid CleanMyMac or any similar automated programs.

Longtime external storage user here, so ++(what everyone has said).

Just keep in mind it will also increase your need for backup space, since it's unlikely your current backup drive is big enough to cover the system drive and an external one. So, you might need 2 external drives, or if you have an external for backup, you might be able to repurpose it for your recording stuff, and get an even bigger external to back up both the system and recording drive.

And a corollary is that if you've got a new MBP with, what, one Thunderbolt port, or even an older one that probably only has 2 ports, you'll have to use a USB hub, which can create problems because it will introduce some delay. You'll want to stick with USB 3.0 drives and a USB 3.0 hub, from what I've read (because my Mini has just enough 3.0 ports for me so far!). The keyboard doesn't care about hubs, but your DAW will notice if data moving in/out can't keep up.

You'll also probably want to pause Time Machine so it's only running when you're not actually recording/mixing, at least IMO/IME.

Back