EMU 1820 now $300

quietb03

I just returned my Focusrite Saffire to GC (it was kinda unstable for me, rebooted itself outta no where alot)...found out they had a EMU 1820 for $300 on closeout because they said its about to be discontinued....I think its a GREAT value at $299.99...anyone interested may wanna call their Sam Ash or Guitar center to see if they took the price down to $299....no websites have taken the price down yet....its running alot more stable than my saffire was and sounds just as good if not better... patchmix configuration wasnt a problem for me, may be for others.

The 1820 is so cheap because it has cheap converters. The 1820M is the one with the high quality converters in it. But either way I think the 1820 has better converters than the sapphire, so you probably did good. Do some research on the differences between the 1820 and the 1820M and you will see why the big price difference.

i called the local guitar center, and it looks like the price did come down to $300.

i'm in in the market for a sound card, and i am considering the 1820. only thing is, my cpu is not necessarily up to date. i'm running an amd 1.4 ghz with 256 ram- do you think the e-mu will run alright on my setup?

iamme said:
i called the local guitar center, and it looks like the price did come down to $300.

i'm in in the market for a sound card, and i am considering the 1820. only thing is, my cpu is not necessarily up to date. i'm running an amd 1.4 ghz with 256 ram- do you think the e-mu will run alright on my setup?
Should be be fine. The slower CPU and less RAM will just lower the number of tracks you can run, but it ought to work fine other than that.

Yeah you won't have any problems, I still have a 1.6gig AMD up and running AMD's scream. As long as you record at 16bit 44.1khz you should be able to get 24-30 tracks no problem with the emu. If you try and run 24bit you may have a problem getting more than 12-15 tracks. Definately get on ebay and find some extra ram though. Try to get about 1gig of ram and you will be able to do alot with your existing computer. Just remember that the 1820 is NOT the 1820M it does not have the mastering grade converters. It however is still a decent sound card for the money.

yeah i know its not the 1820m, but i love it, it has great sound for the price...more ins and outs than i would ever need...sounds alot cleaner than the saffire too.

Back