echoe..need help..

50shellz

hey everyone, well, i just got my new mic, its a condensor mic from marshalls, costed $150, and now that i got it, i have a problem, i got everything ok, read around this site, messed with the volumes/dials on my preamp, but, now i found out all my recordings have a echoe on em, and i found out the echoe is coming from my room as its not that full, is there anything i can do to get rid of the echoe, like, do something to my room or somehow do something, the echoe is really annoying as u can hear it behind the vocals, it makes everything i recoord like robotic..please advice everyone, any help will do..thanks.

~Eric~

This is not the BEST way to treat a room by any means...but...I have used this in the past with good results...

get some of these...from Walmart though...way cheaper there....
http://www.keysan.com/ksu1712.htm

then get some hooks that will screw into your ceiling. Put the binder clips on the corners of some blankets and hang them on the hooks....It may be just enough to cut down your ECHO.

Last edited:
cool, any other suggestions? that sounds cool but the balnket thing isnt quite working for me, i kinda tried that a while ago but it cuts it down a little but not too much, also, where would i hang this at, my room is perfectly square shape so would i be putting that blanket on the corner of the room sorta so i would be recording like facing away from the wall n' the blanket behind the mic/boom stick? also, how much is it to build a vocal booth in your room? is that possible? yea..right? cuz the blanket thing soundz koo, but im looking for something a little more permanent ish, cuz dont really want a big o blanket hanging in my room..well, im taking all advice in consideration, the blanket thing works but doesnt seem to be working all that much..others, please advice :).

~Eric~

Maybe the delay, otherwise known as echoe, is coming from the software you are using and not your room. What software are you using to record?

ok, i have an update here, i tried that with the blanket, i tried hanging one in front of me or behind me but htat does not work, but if i put the blanket over me and the microphone..it works, theres no echo at all..So, i have to be fully surrounded i see so there can be no echo, any have any ideas, the hanging the blanket from the ceiling isnt working since it leaves openings..anyone know any easy/cheap ways i can make this space so i can record vocals without echos, the blankets seem to work but i have to wrap it aroudn the mic with me in there, kinda like a blanket tent, and im not really trying to record like that, lol..it works thou, but unrecordable in that way though..so anyone have any ideas how i can make this space so i can record these vocals without any echo's? the one blanket didnt work, it just echo'd still off the rest of the room..all advice is helpful :D..

~Eric~

okay, well, heres another update, im trying to give as much info possible so i can be help faster as i accually wanna start recording n' stuff....well, i was thinking to hang blankets all around me and make sort of like a recording booth made of blankets so that it'll become "dead" sounding..but, my wal is not really so good, its like foam tiles for my celing in my room that are held up by these metal/alluminum thin bar things..so, i cant really hang up blankets from the ceiling, anyone have any advice on how i can get these blankets up since i cant hang em from the accuall ceiling, i was thinking to install sorta like a shelf from the side top of my wall , and then from that shelf thing have the hooks hanging from it and then the blankets from that on all sides so it can dead out the sound..but, im not sure if thats even possible to consider that i'll need a pretty long board sticking out of the wall so that it is atleast a good size to stand and record in...so, i sorta need to build like a mini alternative ceiling using the side of the wall which is much better than the ceiling which is very weak, so, i need to build a alternative little ceiling sorta thing, well, not a ceiling but like a square that is near the cealiing made out of wood for instance so i can hang these hooks to hang the blankets..cuz it seems the blankets really work to kill echo's...please advice on how i can do this since i am not really sure what to use/how to do this exactly...all advice should do, on my questions here, or other ways i can kill out echo's...Thanks.

~Eric~

What you are hearing is small-room reverb. It is pretty much all around us all the time (bedroom, living room, toilet, shower etc.) but it becomes very apparent that it really doesn't sound that good when recorded. Think of frequencies as lenghts, the bigger the lenght, the lower the frequency. You need to find some material that will stop the frequencies that are bouncing around. Since any curtain is not more than a cm or so thick, it's only gonna stop high frequencies at best. This might just be what you need, so curtains might work, but you will have to cover pretty much every flat surface in your room with it. Foam works a little better. Fiberglass and rockwool work even better, and acoustic treatment packs work best. They are also most expensive though. Look for a comprimise, perhaps treat a corner of the room with foamy stuff, and record in that corner? Owens Corning 703 fiberglass pannels are very popular here, but that's much more of a DIY thing.

"acoustic treatment packs work best" , whats that? how much that run for? well, whats a good permanent way i can take out echo's? willing to spend as much as i have to, but im not looking to re contruct the room and take down walls etc, jus as the room is, how can i improve so it wont hear echo's in my room, anyone know any easy DIY Vocal Booth Sorta Things? or something that works just as good as a vocal booth? let me know.

Back