Dual boot PC Question

zepfan59

Is anybody out there running 2 Windows, like 7 and 10 in a dual boot? I am seriously considering this. I have plenty of HD, 2TB. I am running 7 now. I want to install 10. And since somebody will ask why, I'm always, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy. My recording platform runs great on 7. But my kids have school stuff/projects where 7 is giving some trouble. So I was going to install 10 in a separate partition so the family could use that side, and I can keep my recording stuff on my side. Yes, I know I could run 10 probably without issue. But to my question, is there any downside to the dual boot?

You'll have to shrink your W7 partition to allow for W10 to be installed on the same drive, and then the risk is that the W7 partition might someday get corrupted and not boot by some action taken by a user or app while running W10. (And, vice-versa, of course.)

It's one thing if you're using it entirely yourself and aware of what you're doing, but in a shared environment, stuff happens.

I'd seriously consider just getting another computer for the rest of the fam. I mean, what's a basic W10 computer set you back these days?

Ha yeah good point and believe it or not I actually have a Mac. My wife is a teacher and they all use Mac's at school so the kids are used to it--way more than me! But seriously with 5 of us there are times when both computers are in use. And that's even with laptops, iPads....

You'll have to shrink your W7 partition to allow for W10 to be installed on the same drive, and then the risk is that the W7 partition might someday get corrupted and not boot by some action taken by a user or app while running W10. (And, vice-versa, of course.)

It's one thing if you're using it entirely yourself and aware of what you're doing, but in a shared environment, stuff happens.

I'd seriously consider just getting another computer for the rest of the fam. I mean, what's a basic W10 computer set you back these days?

Good point

Is anybody out there running 2 Windows, like 7 and 10 in a dual boot? I am seriously considering this. I have plenty of HD, 2TB. I am running 7 now. I want to install 10. And since somebody will ask why, I'm always, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy. My recording platform runs great on 7. But my kids have school stuff/projects where 7 is giving some trouble. So I was going to install 10 in a separate partition so the family could use that side, and I can keep my recording stuff on my side. Yes, I know I could run 10 probably without issue. But to my question, is there any downside to the dual boot?

If you stray for a while to soundonsound.com there was a lot of debate a few years ago about the ups and downs of dual boots (mainly XP/W7 iirc) Seek out Martin Walkers "Pc Notes" articles.

I think instead of putting 10 on the existing HDD I would fit a 240G or so SSD for it? Or! Buy the kids a cheap W10 lappy?

Dave.

You could use Boot Camp on a Mac right? Windows isn't going to do anything to an OS X partition.

I'm a Mac user but still have a 10 year old laptop running W7. Actually setting up a dual boot Windows system for a friend who has an equally ancient Vista laptop - can't find a 32-bit W7 ISO and license to upgrade it so going dual-boot to W8 or 10, but have to migrate to a bigger disk first because it's got a 250GB drive that's full. All this because his iTunes library is most of the disk, and Apple/iTunes stopped supporting Vista a while back...

If you stray for a while to soundonsound.com there was a lot of debate a few years ago about the ups and downs of dual boots (mainly XP/W7 iirc) Seek out Martin Walkers "Pc Notes" articles.

I think instead of putting 10 on the existing HDD I would fit a 240G or so SSD for it? Or! Buy the kids a cheap W10 lappy?

Dave.

I will do that, I love SOS. Most of what I've seen from digging around has been technical, what/how/why stuff. I haven't seen much in the way of negative or cautionary. So that's why I posted. The SSD is like yeah I'd like to do that as dedicated for just recording.

Back