"Dry" guitar signal killing the "feel" of tracking metal guitars

ColdToTheTouch

Happy New Years, fellow home producers!
Im using an M-Audio mobilepre interface, and just recently started learning about using only plugins for my tone. I love the tones Ive been able to generate with Impulse Responses, and amp plugins, however.. while tracking, the "dry" signal can be heard loud and clear. This is only the case while monitoring during tracking though. My problem, is thats its really killling the feel for me. Im having a hard time playing this heavy track, because I can hear the twang and clang loud and clear and its really affecting my tracks. If I lower my input signal on the interface enough, i can't hear it, but now the waveform of my tracks are empty, or too small for a quality track. I hope I make sense of this and someone can help me. hopefully its not just the fact i have a pretty bunk interface. But this problem, is almost enough for me to throw my guitar down, and convince myself, that its just me who sucks because I should be able to play the track regardless of the sound since it can be manipulated post-recording. this is causing a major problem for me.. please helppP!!!

Your DAW and/or interface should have an option somewhere called something like "record monitoring" or "playthrough". That tells it to play your original signal back through to you while recording. Toggle it off, and you shouldn't be able to hear the dry signal anymore.

Back