Drum programming software for rock/metal/etc.

npearce

I'm looking for the best drum programming software for rock, metal, possibly industrial or experimental, and so on. I DON'T like Fruity Loops. It is geared for dance, hip-hop, etc.

I'd like Propellerhead, but I don't want to spend that money unless I know it is right for me. I've tried the demo, and it didn't really impress me. Mostly because it was a little more complex than I really need.

I need something that is simple to use, has good "natural" sounding drums, and is free or cheap. I want to be able to create a loop, or a bunch of loops, and just plop them into the song I'm working on in Cool Edit Pro 2.0 or some other editing software. Am I retarded for wanting something like this?

Any recommendations?

Oh . . .

I'm currently using a powerful computer with plenty of RAM and all that stuff. My editing software is Cool Edit Pro 2.0, but I'm thinking of getting Sound Forge in the near future.

Acid 4.0 is a great program for loops. You pay the price for is abilities tho, and good loop samples don't always come cheap. You may be able to find some decent ones on the cheap via ebay and such.
You may also be able to search around for an earlier version of Acid for quite a bit less $$. Take a look around the Acid forum.

I actually have Acid Express or whatever it's called. It is cool, but I'm wanting to actually create the beat and everything. I don't want pre-made loops.

I want something with all the drum samples and a way to create beats with them. Does that make sense? Does Acid Pro actually do that?

Yeah .... you can draw out the beats using loops or one shots, the only thing I found lacking was the samples. Most of the ones I got with the program where more hip hop DJ type crap tho. You can use whatever samples you want tho. It also has a chopper feature that you can stick a track into and chop it up into loops or one shots. Hard part is finding the samples that fit your needs.

Well there's a great CD set of samples for metal called Drumkit From Hell, but it is like $100. Then I'd have to pay lie $150 for Acid Pro . . .

I might as well get Propellerhead.

Maybe somebody else has an idea for me . . .

The best results I've gotten so far have been using a sequencer with a good set of drum samples, The drawback is that it takes quite a bit of time ( at least for a guitar playin' MIDI noob like me ). The advantage is that you can get a drum track that doesn't sound *too* sterile.

FXPansion has a program out called BFD. Also, for Reason if you get the right Refill's for good natural sounding drums you can do a lot. And you can tweak that stuff like crazy. I personally love Reason but I'm really looking forward to trying BFD in the near future. Only prob with BFD is that I have heard it takes 1GB of RAM to run smoothly and it has some bugs. They are releasing updates constantly though. you can check that out on FXPansion's site. Its quite impressive.

OK. So I downloaded the nskit stuff. I think I must be really dumb. How do I get it to work in Fruity Loops 3.4?

I'll try and get back to you on it. One thing tho. Did you download the wave samples or the sound fonts? Bear in mind, you will need a good amount of RAM to use the full kit. You can do search in the FASoft forum for nskit, Fruity Loops and sound fonts. There has been some really good info posted on how to do this.

Back