Drum programming software

Lucid Light

What is the best professional software for drum programming? To make a rhythm from my own samples, with "resolution" at least 8 notes per beat. No Fruityloops, please. ;)
I tried to make all rhythms with Korg Triton, but loading samples takes a lot of time. There are tons of software, but it's made for "simple" trance/house - boom, tss, boom, tss, boom, tss... :) What do you use to make a complicated drum pattern?

Actually, Fruity Loops is the best. Outwardly it's geared for techno type stuff, but it's considerably more feature rich than its competition. Most people around here making "realistic" drum tracks are using fruity loops. The only major drawback to fruity loops is that you can't do time signature changes, but all drum software seems to suffer from this problem in one way or another.

You're not going to find any software that has perfect drum samples. You have to find those on your own!

Slackmaster 2000

Sonar 2.0 includes new tools for drum sequencing and the XL version comes with FXpansion's DR-008 drum sampler which has some sequencing capabilities as well. However, the DR-008 has recently been updated and I'm not sure all the new features will be in the Sonar version. I believe Sonar 2.0 started shipping yesterday.

i was using fruity loops 3, it's okay. but i recently got Reason, the drum machine is alot better. i just have to learn how to use the sequencer properly...

I haven't used Reason...a little $$. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot.

Fruity is pretty silly right off the bat, but once you dig a little deeper, it's a very powerful sequencer/tweeker/whacker/wanker.

Slackmaster 2000

You might want to check out Algorhythm as well. I just downloaded the demo and it seems to work pretty well. If you place it in "snap" mode you can move individual beats all over the place - you can really create some wild stuff.

You can get a 30 day demo at www.spacetimefoam.com

For $35 I think I'll buy it. I prefer it to FL...

zip >>

I use fruityloops for all of my percussion needs. It's like slack said, it doesn't really come with all the best samples, but you can hunt through the ones it does come with for the gems plus d/l more all over the web for free, and you can make your own. I use a fruity drum kit I put together from mostly downloaded and custom samples, except for two (of 12 samples in the kit) which I found in various directories that were installed with fruityloops. If you wanna hear stuff I did with it, check out the drums on my tracks at nowhere radio. They are all done with fruityloops (except the shaker, which is a loop I d/l 'd for free somwhere longa ago).

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/3/1437/singles.shtml

I have reason and fruity, and I would NEVER argue that Reason is better for drums. It has probably the worst piano roll implementation I've ever seen, and Redrum is far too limiting. Try setting up a drumset with 50 drum samples, it's a nightmare. In Fruity you can magle any single sample on a sample channel in any way you want, by adjusting the cutoff, resonance, multiple envelopes, pitch, and grouping unlimited sample channels to cut each other off, reversing samples, individual delay lines for each sample channel, etc. In short, Fruity gives you a huge range to work with for each and ever drum sample, and the ability to use hundreds of them. In contrast, I find Redrum extremely limiting. To get any kind of decent kit going, you need to add multiple instances to a song. And then, the ability to tweak samples is just not well enough supported, and different even from channel to channel.

The only thing that Reason does very well is the Subtractor synth, now that's a monster. Everything else at this point is disposable. Fruity has a better sampler implementation (the soundfont player), far better drum channel supprt, a better sequencer, better effects, and far more expandability. In the next version of Reason, I saw that they have a much better sampler, but it's not available yet. Meanwhile, Fruity does all kinds of stuff that is insane.

I have to laugh at your "no fruity please." The idea that a software sampler/sequencer, or as you call it, "drum machine," is "made for" a certain genre of music is ignorant. In a software drum machine, you can put in any samples you want, and no one is forcing you to program house beats.

Make use of rymth

Yeah, I'm very much interested in the drum software that you're talking about. Where can I obtain it for my own use?
Thanks.

I've always been a big fan of Fruity Loops, but I'd have to go with Reason for midi sequencing. However, if you can do everything you want in Fruity Loops, stick with that.

If you are recording audio , I think a plug in drum sampler might be the way to go. Both Reason and FL require that you save .wav files (unless you're using Reason with ReWire and a multitrack sequencer). This is fun for a while, but it can get tedious when it comes to arranging. With most multitrack sequencers, like Cakewalk or Cubase, you can sequence midi and use soundfonts or a drum sampler to create drum tracks. No need for FL or Reason. There are even free drum samplers out there from FXpansion and LinPlug, as well as the Computer Music thing. Of course, something like Battery, Attack or the Dr-008, is going to have a lot more to offer as far as 'sound design'.

There is the CPU/RAM/driver support issue though; especially if you want to do real time midi sequencing with a keyboard. But there are ways around this issue if you want to use a drum sampler. You can use soundfonts with a soundblaster to record the midi and then reroute the midi thru the software sampler, e.g. Pehaps you don't do real time sequencing with a keyboard or electronic drum kit. Then latency isn't a a factor, and you should be able to run a software drum sampler and multitrack on a modest machine.

If you have ever used Cakewalk, the session drummer plug in is pretty cool. It's a playlist midi sequencer; you can create your own midi drum files and sequence them with session drummer.

What I think would be really cool is getting an electronic drum kit with good drum pads and recording midi sequences with a live band using NI Battery or another good sampler plug in. And the coolest thing of all would be to be able to afford a place where you can mic up a real drum situation.

I'm completely with you charger!!

The drums of fruity loops are way better thar Reason, which has indeed a louzy piano roll. I like the loop player, and the sampler and matrix of reason, but triggering with that louzy piano roll is so frustrating.

Fruity Loops is versatile and giver heaps of opportuinities. FP is the best, no doubt. I challenge everyone to find me a better drum programmer.

Just curious, what exactly is so bad about the Reason piano roll? Are you doing real time sequencing with a keyboard? Reason is the shit if you are doing real time sequencing. However, if you are more into paint by number, then FL might be the way to go.

Hello'

What about Discrete Drums does anybody know about these?
There's a 4 CD set and a 12 CD set I was wondering about the
setup (how they work) and the quality.

Thanks Epi

J, just compare the reason piano roll with any of a decent sequenser, like Cubase, logic or cakewalk. It isn't practical at all, it's way to small and unhandy when you want to zoom in.

Digital Performer Drum Editor

Digital Performer has a great Drum editor. It is a bit complicated but it seems to do an awful lot. I have it set up with the Waldorf Attack Plug-In through the VST Wrapper program. This is truly great. I have been getting some pretty good results. I am working on getting my MP#s together and will post some of the drum grooves I have gotten. The possibilities are endless. Just my opinion and my version of whats good. I am sure that ultimately, any program anyone bothers to get good at operating will be just as good.

Hammer (as in Keys)

Back