Dropouts while recording

Gurky

My Behringer UC222 has suddenly started doing ocasikonal dropouts while
recording. Has anyone else experienced this? What can be done about it? The
cables are connected as always.

You might be having HD issues. Check to make sure your disk isn't full or near full. Also, if it is a slower HD 5400 and it starts writing to the outside of the disk, that could cause you issues.

I would check the HD before I started messing with anything. You can also make sure your resources aren't being over taxed (something running in the back ground) If Windows, control alt delete, task manager, more options, performance.

It's unlikely the cause is your interface. When you say 'dropout' do you mean that it records silence, yet you still hear the monitored track while recording?

I am betting DM60 has your issue nailed. Are you recording to the same HD that your OS is on? A laptop maybe?

Try another USB port (or have you changed from the one you used before?). Use a dedicated USB port, i.e. if one of a pair don't put anything else in the other port. Don't use it on a hub.

Wireless adaptors can eat up resource and are a common cause of stutters and droputs. Switch off wireless internet but if the machine has "Airplane mode" this usefully turns off ALL wireless features including Bluetooth.

For 2 channel, 16 bit recording at 48kHz a 5400rpm drive should be fine. This g6 i3 laptop has one and ran for over an hour, twice, recording bands at a Labour club a few years ago and that was 24 bits was with 4G of ram. The drive should of course have a decent ampount of space on it, not less than 75% full say and 50% would be better.

Google for "latencyMon" and run it. That will tell you if you have problems with the computer.

Dave.

Back