Drive letter change with XP

Stealthtech

LOGIC ABUSER
This has got me a little puzzled....

Ive used Win98se for years and my drive setup was:
(C): Master (D): Slave (E): CD Player (F): CD Writer

Now that I have installed a new drive and XP, this happened:
(C): Slave (D): CD Player (E): CD Writer (F): Master

(F): Being the new hard drive, which was a replacement for (C): in old config.

Is this the normal way XP sets up drive letters ?
Can I change it to my original setup ?

Perhaps this is something I could have controlled during format and installing OS. I dont really know as I'm not an expert at this.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management ->Disk Management ->Right click on graphical view of partition -> Change drive letter

Now... word of warning, don't change the Letter of the drive that holds the OS.

If your OS happens to be on F, sometimes that happens if it detects another drive with an OS on it during installation (well, im guessing anyway). To prevent that from happening on installation, make sure it goes on a empty drive (with no partitions-and other drives unplugged). (I know, that's seriously screwed up)

WildFire said:
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management ->Disk Management ->Right click on graphical view of partition -> Change drive letter

Now... word of warning, don't change the Letter of the drive that holds the OS.

If your OS happens to be on F, sometimes that happens if it detects another drive with an OS on it during installation (well, im guessing anyway). To prevent that from happening on installation, make sure it goes on a empty drive (with no partitions-and other drives unplugged). (I know, that's seriously screwed up)

Now Im willing to do a reinstall. Are you saying leave my slave drive disconnected during install so the OS does'nt see it and this will create my primary drive letter as (C):

Back