DIY Cheap wireless midi controller for DAW

PeteHalo

I believe there might be someone interested in controlling their DAW software wirelessly form distance of your computer. To turn the readily and inexpensively available Nintendo Wiimote into a midi controller is pretty darn easy if you know a little bit of programming.

All you need is a Wiimote remote controller, a USB bluetooth dongle for you computer if there's no bluetooth built-in, free midiyoke and ClovePIE programs and a few dozens of lines of code.

I spend a couple of rainy days of my summer holiday learning to write ClovePIE scripts to interface the Wiimote and now I have a fairly simple scripts that I can use for controlling Reaper's mixer. By rolling the wiimote I can now select a track and while pressing a button I can adjust the panning of the selected track by rolling the Wiimote and the volume by tilting the Wiimote.

If there's somebody who's more familiar with midi and Mackie MCU or some other common control interface supported by various DAW programs I could use some help implementing a general purpose midi controller using the Wiimote. All I can say that possibilities are endless now it's just matter of figuring out the best ways to utilize a stick with a few buttons as a DAW conrolling device.

Back