distortion I think or my sound card

BK MANNY

hello, I need help....I keep hearing some sort of noise only when I play low subs on my computer.
By the way I dont use any out side equipment everything is doone on my computer.I use REASON to make music for now :)...and also I have AKAI cd roms for samples drum kits,etc. Any way lets say I take an 808 drum kick from my sample cd rom and play it. I can hear some kind of distortion in it..like insted of that pure humming low sound I now can hear more like a small hint of noise in it..To make things a little more clear I use to have a pair of Boston accustics speakers(2 satellites and 1 power sub)and every sound that came out of them where clean and crisp. But now I have upgraded to some tonnoy proto j's and the same music I made sounds different..Remember that 808 kick? Now that kick sounds like it has some noise in it(this noise was not there with my older speakers) But when I play music(commercial music) from the stereo(useing the same proto j's) all the music sounds pure like they are suppose to just like my old boston accustics use to sound..can this be my sound card causeing this noise? or my hard drive? or where my old speakers designd to hide this noise?

now I have music on mp3.com(the link is in my profile) and I think they have that sound it it:(
I am A beat maker.All I make are instrumentals in the hip/hop genra
and in this type of music low bass is almost always used and I really like to clear this up
I just need some tips on how to make my beats more clear....
thank you.. remember I dont use outside equipment because I cant afford it right now :)

Cheap speakers can't reproduce low bass well so maybe it's them?

More likely, if your commercial CDs sound right and you hear/feel that phat bass, the low bass sounds you're making are clipping -- you need to turn down the gain. Once you get it to keep from clipping you can always normalize or compress it to get it sounding bigger/louder.

whats up BK this is SCARR....but yea you might want to get a setup of studio monitors...some good ones for a good price are the event 20/20 and buy a amp...total $500 or you can do it a getto way and run it this what

this is how I had mine hooked up before I learnd the importance of studio monitors...

mini to rca >stereo reciever > some nice house speakers

I had two sets of speakers some small book shelf infinitys

and a set of floor speakers w/12 speakers in it...I switch between the two

thanks for the reply but I know the gain is not an issue the bass is not clipping it just has a funny noise in it..its hard to explain but I know for a fact its not clipping.Im kinda thinking its my sound card but I cant be sure.I am expecting a new sound card by the end of this week.I bought a MIDIMAN audiophile 24/96 card so I will see if I have the same problem.I know how to read the meters to avoid clipping so Im sure it cant be clipping.Im sure tonnoy speakers are not cheap in quality to be the issue because they are monitors and are flat in frequency to give me accurate sound.but other than that the tonnoys give me some nice clean crips hi's and nice warm lows when I listen to commercial music.
and I only have a problem with lows when I am creating music ...as far as the hi's they are the way they should be. but when I creat the low's the warmth is taken away almost fading it with some sort of hissing together with what should be hum

Back