Digital Pros Wanted Info

smellyfuzz

HI GUYS,

I could use some info on the digital realm of life.

The topic is Digital Mixers, a/d/a converters(lucid) and the Audiophile 24/96 sound card.

1) Can an external Mixer be used with spdif or any other connection that would allow me to record more then 3 (preferably 8)signals at one time ?

2) How do I then bypass the sound cards converters and then use the lucid ?

My eventual goal is to have a CPU base DAW & to be able to use Cool Edit, Cakewalk as a sequencer, Lucid ADA, then smpte it all to Analogue [and/or] be able to record 8 tracks at one time to CPU.

Please educate me !!!

Sean

1) Not three SPDIF. The SPDIF on the audiophile (i believe) is just stereo, so two channels. You should be able to use it with the RCA inputs though, which would allow you to record 4 channels at once.

2) Anytime you use SPDIF you are bypassing the soundcard's converters. The lucid will have some sort of digital output, perhaps SPDIF, in which case the connection should be obvious. Otherwise you'll need some kind of digital converter.

If you want 8 tracks at once to the DAW, you'll need an interface with 8 inputs. If they're all going to be digital, then you'll need 8 channels of external digital A/D.

I know RME makes several all digital interfaces with multiple channels.

Slackmaster 2000

The common 8-channel digital interface you would find is ADAT optical. There's also TDIF, created by Tascam, but available on other gear...

Back