Digital multitrack recording - best equipment?

matt_aross

Hi all,

My question is fairly specific but it is similar to many I have seen in threads in the past. Here's what I want: to be able to multitrack record (ideally up to 16 simultaneous tracks) into a DAW from a digital mixing board. I know that I need a board whose USB/firewire interface support 16/16 digital I/Os. The trouble is I'm having trouble finding many digital mixers that support more than basic stereo output through the USB/firewire connection. I have no trouble finding audio interfaces with this feature, but not the mixers. To be clear I'm not saying I have found no options, but they are limited and I am seeking advice or any specific product suggestions that any of you have tried out and liked. I have done this type of recording using an Allen and Heath ZED board into Logic. Can anyone think of anything that might have better bang for my buck?

I already know I'm going to get the following question: "why would you want a mixer rather than just an audio interface when you can just mix in the DAW after the fact?", so let me explain. The setup I'm developing will be for educational use, so I'm a little less concerned with the practicality of it and more concerned with packing a lot of features into relatively little equipment. That is to say, rather than teaching students the principles of live and studio mixing separately, I would love one device that gives me the power to demonstrate both, and I think a digital mixer with multitrack USB output is my best bet.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!:)

Matthew

Hello Matthew,

Check the Soundcraft Signature MTK (Multitrack) , they have 2 or 3 models, I don´t remember, but should be 12, 16 and 24 inputs.

Look at the Behringer XR18. It will stream 18 channels to a PC running a DAW, but it will also let you use another PC to run the mixer. That might allow you to project your mixer onto a large screen. Or better yet, let your students log onto the mixer with their own devices.

Behringer X32, QSC Touchmix 16, Allen & Heath QU16, all of these can record 16 (and more) inputs to tacks.

Alan.

Back