Digital Mixer (Yamaha O2R) or a good analog mixer with a controller?

pisces7378

Ok I am probably about to show my ignorance here big time but anyway...

I was wondering, I have flipped flopped back and forth between wanting a big 32 channel Mackie 8bus analog mixer and a digital mixer like the Yamaha O2R or the Mackie Digital 8 Bus (d8b). I will be using a dual 1.25gHz G4 Mac running Logic Audio Platinum v. 5 with a Motu 2408mkIII (the new one) sound card system.

My question is... would I not be able to work more intuitively using the Mackie analog mixer for it's mic and instrument pre-amps, EQ, EFX Sends/returns, and setting the input levels during the recording process... but then do all the automation and plug in stuff natively inside the Mac with the Logic Control hardware controller?
I know that everyone seems to be running to get a digital mixer, and I definitely see how they could be cool. But their control over the software (Logic) is nowhere near as integrated and seemless as with the Logic Control, so I would still be holding a fader in one hand and a mouse in the other (which I HATE).
Also, if I already have the MOTU 2408mkIII with it's great 96kHz converters, what would be the point in having the big bad digital mixer with yet another set of converters? It seems like the signals would be converted to death by the time they reach the CD. (???)

What I am proposing is... is it not cheaper, less complicated, more intuitive, and "cooler looking" to have a 32 channel Mackie 8 bus Analog mixer with a Logic Control + LC Xtension unit (16 channels) sitting right beside each other... than it would for me to have a bad ass Yamaha O2R or a Sony or a Mackie d8b that is as expensive as three analog mixer, has minumal software feature controls, a steap as hell learning curve, did I mention expensive?

The advantages of a digital mixer as I can see are...

- That there is a D/A conversion that happens immediatly and after that the signal is protected from any analog circuitry noise.

- Also digital mixers have complex and expensive outboard gear and plug-in algorithms "built into" the board.

The advantages of using an analog mixer along side the Logic Control seem to be...

- It's CHEAPER!!!!

- The Logic Control will make working more intuitive because there is much better integration with the automated faders etc and the software than with the Digital Mixer.

- Almost no learning curve to climb.

- Everything is "out in the open" meaning that unlike with the digital mixers, there are no banks of faders to flip through, and all the knobs have only one function.

Now, I know it sounds like I have already made up my mind... but then Tascam came out with the DM24. It looks good, has tons of functions... AND it's price is sweet.

In fact it would be cheaper than my analog/Logic Control set up.

What would you guys do if you have like say $4,000 to spend on getting a mixing solution for a Mac DAW?

Digital Mixer alone? Or A=nalog/Control unit together?

Thanks!

You could go with the setup of the Tascam DM-24, MOTU 2408, and your Comp.

You would still be able to use the MOTU converters (eight - 1/4" INS that will go Firewire to the COMP).

You will still be able to use Logic (plus, Logic can control ALL the functions of the TASCAM DM-24 and its automation).

You will also have 24 tracks to physically put your hands on (the DM-24) that are bi-directional with the COMP. By using 3 TDIF cables that will go into the MOTO 2408, then Firewire into the COMP and at the same time, the reverse.

And you will have the benefit of ALL of the other functions and editing capabilities of the computer. ;)

Same sort of decision

I'm struggling with a version of the same decision. Though you sound much more professional in your needs than I.

I'm running logic through a Metric Halo Mobile I/O. Currently, I first send stuff into a Spirit SX mixer. However, the Mobile I/O comes with a very robust software based mixer. It can do all sorts of routing and such before sending a signal on to Logic.

The Mobile also has really excellent mic-pres, way better sounding than the Spirit. So I'm thinking about doing away with the mixer, but I'm apprehensive about not having that stuff there to grab onto, push, and/or pull. I don't relish being "tied" to the computer for just playing around. And I don't want to have to use the mouse to cut the volume on my monitors.

Since I'm a novice, I'm always looking for ways to idiot proof my set-up. I'm also always looking for ways to make it smaller (I'm moving to Brooklyn this winter and much smaller digs).

If I do go without the mixer, I might buy something like the Mission Control (http://www.i3audio.com/) to give me some mild flexibility.

Anyways, given you're description of your needs/situation. I'd go with the Logic control and the analogue mixer. But, who the hell am I to give advice?

Thank for the posts guys

I like the analog mixer/Logic control Combonation simply for the guilty pleaseure of having 55 faders all lined up in a row as pretty as you like.

Also I can grab one of the many knobs and tweek tweek tweek until the cows come home. I know that the world is trying to see just how small it can become... but hey, in America we have the room. Spread out people. Give me my fucking knobs and faders.

An old school fool,

Mike

The question is: do you use your mixer for mixdown, or do you mixdown in software? If you use the mixer for mixdown, then a mixer is probably what you need.

BUT...if you don't use it for mixdown, then why have one? For the price of the mixer you could get 2 nice 8 channel preamps or get 8 channels of really nice preamps. Then get the control surface of your choice if you don't like to use a mouse. You'll certainly have a tidy desk that way!

It doesn't seem that hard a choice to me.

Beezoboy

How about get an analog mixer and a digital mixer? use the digital mixer as your control surface. do the summing and minor tweeks on the mackie. Personally, I think dedicated controllers are a waste of money. Hell, my $300 digital fostex mixer is a great controller. It gives me over 100 automated faders and other nifty stuff. with the saved money, you can get other more importan stuff like pre's, mic's, etc. Either way, you can get more bang for your buck by buying a used digital mixer than any fancy dedicated controller.

Back