Digital feedback from Computer to mixing board

Tim B Finley

Hello, New to this forum and I think I'm gonna be popping in here more often.
To the point, I'll describe my setup from mouth to machine:

Mugig mic --XLR-> Symetrix 528E Voice Processor --XLR-> Input 2 of Peavey PV6 --\/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-> Headphone Jack to Headphones (3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter)
|-> Tape Out to PC (RCA to 2.5mm)
|-> Tape In from PC (RCA to 2.5mm adapter)

PC is custom built, uses on-board audio (Realtek)

Okay, now that that's out of the way, here's the problem:
The "Tape to Mix" button on the Peavey allows me to hear outputs from the computer to my headphones. This way, when I'm Voice Tracking, I can quickly review or listen to the cue, etc. Without it, I can still hear my own voice from the mic, but not the computer. This is a little frustrating, since I very often need that cue in before I start talking. There's a hiss coming from the computer that spoils everything I try to record here. I usually just go to the studio, but I would like to work from home more often. I feel like adding a low or a high pass filter might help, but I thought I would ask people with more experience before I went out and grabbed something like that.

By the way, the feedback is definitely digital. You can sometimes here the computer working binary in the line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Two issues here:

1 a need for full duplex recording, i.e. to be able to monitor playback while simultaneously recording
2 a need to reduce system and other noises that mar the recordings.

Both can be solved relatively easily and cheaply.

If you want better control over quality of recording and workflow, you might consider getting an audio interface.

An audio interface takes the place of your mixer and your computer's internal sound.

Mike goes into interface, headphones go into interface, and interface goes into computer via USB (or maybe firewire). Signal travels to and from computer via USB.

If you want, you can still use the Symetrix.

so:

Inwards: Mike > XLR > Symetrix > XLR > Interface > USB > PC
Outwards: PC > USB > Interface > headphones

Back