Digidesign Digi-001

Suntag

I performed a search on Digidesign... Nada. Do we have a boycott going on (and if so, why?). Ok. ProTools costs more than I make in a year (or five!!) but I just came across something on FullCompass that begs for my attention: Digi-001.

They claim it's a "complete PCI computer-based audio and MIDI recording solution in one box". The Features
* PCI based digital audio & MIDI recording system
* 24-bit digital I/O
* Pro Tools LE software w/ up to 24 playback tracks of 16 or 20-bit audio
* DigiRack™ bundle of real-time plug-ins
* 2 mic/line inputs featuring: High quality mic preamps, 48V phantom power, XLR & 1/4-TRS
inputs, gain controls, high-pass filters and -26db PADs
* 6 line inputs (1/4"-TRS)
* 2 main outputs (1/4"-TRS) and 6 line outputs (1/4")
* 44.1/48 kHz selectable sampling rates
* Stereo monitoring output with dedicated volume control
* Headphone output with separate volume control
* MIDI input and output ports
* 1/4" footswitch port for "QuickPunch" recording control
LIST PRICE: $995.00

So what's the catch? Anybody have an opinion?

[This message has been edited by Suntag (edited 10-05-1999).]

I think there is a big scramble for manufactures to get business from the home recording folks, like us. They know more and more people own computers, and that many of them will record with them. Pro Tools has the high-end of the computer recording market; ADAT's & DA-38/88's have the mid market. That market was hot for some time, but it is now a highly compeditive market. So what is left? The 1.5k and lower market, and it is wide open. As we all know, it is much easier these days to get good recordings from home. Naturally there is an increase in home studio's; therefore, the manufactures have to act fast before they miss out.

One last thing, I did see where Lexicon droped the price of their Core 32 System.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 10-05-1999).]

Fair enough, but I'm thinking that with stats like those, I'm still going to risk diving into the Digi-001. It looks tailor-made for my needs. I'm been stuck with the SB-Live long enough...

*drooling* mmmmmm, 24 bits...
(But thanks for the tip, I'm going to investigate the Lexicon Core...)

-Suntag-

As I have posted before on here, I seriously doubt that those supposed "24 bit" converters are actually "linear" 24 bit converters. And certainly at that price range, I can say with a certain amout of certainty that they are not. Mostly, this whole 24 bit thing is a nice marketing catch phrase to get you into their product. That converter is using some kind of data compression scheme to "simulate" 24 bit. You "might" get maybe a true 20 bit converter there, although I have read some things about the "supposed" 20 bit converters also that would suggest that they are also using a 16 bit converter with a compression scheme to simulate 20, or 24 bit. All in all, it is a sham.

If the product does not claim linear 20 or 24 bit conversion, then they are using a data compression thing. Don't get stuck with bad info here. Research.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

I sent an e-mail to Digidesign's pre-sales guys, insisting on the *linear* part (I made sure to get my point across). I'm awaiting their reply with great anticipation. (I'm curious to see how they'll try to talk their way around it if theirs is an empty promise).

Thx for the tip, Ed. But I'm curious: How can you even claim 24 bit conversion (even "simulated") out of 16 or 20 bit converters? If data is lost, it's lost, right? How can you fit: "123456789012345678901234" into "1234567890123456"?
It don't add up! It juss don't!

-Tag-

[This message has been edited by Suntag (edited 10-05-1999).]

Well, here's what I got from Digidesign (preceded by my inquiry):

>Greetings! Your Digi-001 looks tempting, to be sure.
>Just one question. When you say: 24 bit converters,
>are you talking about linear converters? Or is there
>data compression involved (to "simulate" 24 bit)? I ask
>because every other card in this price range have 16 or
>20 bit linear, but still claim 20 bit or 24 bit converters.
>There is a difference. Just curious if yours is the long-
>awaited miracle.
>Thanks.
>
All of the information that we currently have on the new Digi001,ToolBox
XP and ProTools 5.0 LE is the pre-release information
posted on our web site. Complete product specs and compatibility
information will be available from your local Digidesign dealer
as well as the Digi001 web site once the product is officially released.
Thanks for your continued support of Digidesign. www.digi001.com

Digidesign Product Information
1-800-333-2137 (US & Canada)
650-842-7900 (Int'l--Ask for Product Information) http://www.digidesign.com

Typical :(

Sheesh! Babble burble balderdash! it's all talk! Elephant talk! Well I am in in HD recording suspense:I visited the guitar center here in Covina tonight and checked out the 001. Unfortunately the guys had just set it up today and weren't ready to demo it. For @ $900 this is the closest thing to "user friendly" amatuer HD recording in an "all things included" package I have yet seen. G.Center and digidesign are taking this puppy on a road show for the next 30 days. They will have a clinic at the Covina store(10 Miles east of Los Angeles) on 10/19.
For those of you elsewhere on the planet check with your closest guitar center and find out when there Digi 001 clinic is. I have been doing heavy research on this whole Home HD recording and the 1000's of directions one can take. I am fed up with the BS. I doubt that anybody could take the blindfold test and tell the difference between linear 24 bit and 16 bit converted sound. We are not building bridges here and I
believe "musicians" just want to capture the magic. All those recordings of the 40's 50's 60'70's and early eighties were analog with tape hiss recordings. The greats of the past would have given anything to have 16 bit quality. And here we bitch about it. I am aching to get going on some HD recording and if I can get a sweet copy of what I create for $900 plus my PC and a CDR count me in.
I've made the mistake of jumping in too soon before so I'm going to the clinic and I am going to ask questions up the ass (poor bastard that's giving this clinic)I hope this is it. I'll report back after the clinic.

Back