digi 002 and I Mac 1g?! PLEASE HELP!!

shady656

I just called digidesign to inquire about compatability of the 002 and 002 rack with the newest macs. Because of the 002's problems with the newest mac's fw 800 port, Ive really had a tough time deciding what to get. They told me that even though the Imac is a single processor, it should be more than enough computer for the 002, with the only differnce being a 15-30 % difference in sing / dual amount of plug-ns used at one time. Does anyone out there use the imac with the 002? I dont mind spending the money, but if I dont have to, great. Digi told me that the fw 800 drive's incompatability issues with the 002 are not going to be corrected anytime soon, if ever.
This is going to be my 1st serious hd recording system, so if y'all have any suggestions, that would be great. also, any thoughts on 002 vs. oo2 rack with mackie control?

From Apple's spec page for the Powermac's: Ports One FireWire 800, Two FireWire 400....etc.

What's wrong with using the 2 FW400 ports on it? Or am I missing something?

Otherwise, get the iMac 1Ghz. Same speed, smaller footprint, but less expandability. But it'll work fine.

From Digidesign's compatibility page:Supported CPU Models, Speeds & Requirements

Power Macintosh G4 (AGP graphics) Single Processor

"FW800" 1GHz
"Quicksilver 2002" 800MHz, 933MHz
"Quicksilver" 733MHz, 867MHz
"Digital Audio" 733MHz

Digi says it's ok, then what's the issue?

it says that using any firewire drives for a FW800 conputer will not work. So you have to get a pci card for it or an internal.

So what? Just get an internal extra hard drive, and the Digi 002, and it'll be fine. Cheaper anyway than a FW800 hard drive.

Back