Desktop advice/question

chromaticstatic

You don’t have to worry about anything with those specs. You’re good. You can run several dozen tracks and plugins and be completely fine.

Specs are more than adequate. With 32G RAM its made for video processing. As long as money is not an issue, go for it.

Caveat - I've had 3 Dells fry their motherboards on me (power supply issue?), and the company I work for (thousands of computers) moved away from Dell (to HP) several years ago due to longevity problems.

FWIW, the I7-9700 is a 9th gen processor. 10th gens will have a 10 prefix. Either one should easily handle any of the DAWs. I run Reaper on a 4th gen I5 with no problems.

The newer processor has better performance in some benchmarks, even at a lower clock speed. Memory access is also faster. One big difference is the power draw. The 9700 pulls 95watts vs 65 watts for the comparable 10700, which might result in lower temps and less fan noise. 32GB ram is more than enough, and the SSD paired with a spinner should be fine. I run that same format on mine.

I don't have an issue with Dell. I've got a tower that has been running for at least 10 years, and my workplace specified Dell as the corporate supplier. They were the standard models, with hundreds at our location alone. We had three in the lab that were running XP because the instrumentation had software that wouldn't run on Win7 or 10. We just took them off the network. My last two computers were Lenovos, which have also run trouble free.

Back