Delta 66, Logic Audio Platinum, Latency, Static, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree!

pisces7378

Hey guys,

I went out and finally got the Delta 66 sound card, with the M-Audio Omni I/O pre-amp, mixer, etc. break out box Studio.
I am using Logic Audio Platinum v. 4.7 on my PC. Now I installed the new card, and successfully diactivated the existing sound card built onto the mother board, plugged it all in, plugged in my guitar to try out a direct recording, and it sounded GREAT!!!!

EXCEPT...... there was static in the background. I don't mean a little, I mean some pretty unignorable signal fuzz.

AND...... there was literally half to three-quarters of a second latency between when i hit a string and heard a tone in the head phones.

THIS CAN NOT BE NORMAL.... can it???

Did I really just spend this much money building my dream audio workstation... and it is a flop? Here are some more specifics to help any gentle soul that choses to help.

Computer Spec:

Fujitsu/Siemens Highclass:
Pent. III 933 MHz
128 MB SD-RAM
Windows Mill Ed

Software Seq:
E-magic Logic Audio Platinum

Is it the RAM??? I am going to go get 128 MB more on Monday, but is that really the problem?

I installed the CD-ROM driver that came with the Delta 66 Omni Studio, and there is the ICON on my desktop now.

I read the Logic Audio Platinum handbook 10 times looking for what might be the problem and still nothing. How am I supposed to multi-track when I have this much latency?

And what the hell is the static? I thought that digital meant... None of that garbage.

Anyway thanks guys,

Mike

My first suggestion is always to go to Deltas website and download/install the latest drivers.....

Dont get too frustrated...you have an awesome setup that will put a smile on your face for many many days once you get it setup correctly....

You have more than enuff RAM....go ahead and get more since its so cheap, but it wont solve this problem...

Signal buzz may be coming off the guitar...try plugging in the guitar, put the guitar volume all the way up and turn slowly at different angles....single coil pickups are more problematic than humbuckers....also, turn off the video monitor and see if that drastically reduces the hum...if any of this helps, youve found the culprit and will have to experiment to find the solution....a software or hardware noise gate on the tracks may help....

Go into your monitor mixer and try different settings.....

Also try different software programs to record with and see if its a software issue (the latency)....

Please dont get discouraged...youll be up and running soon and youll be more than satisfied.....

Thanks

I must have the most recent drivers. I had it ordered 2 days ago from M-Audio and I bought it yesterday and installed it that same day.

The Guitar is actually an acoustic with one of those pop in Dean Markley Acoustic Pickups. Not TOP quality. But I do not have my electric here in Germany but I will be buying one soon. But in the mean time I am stuck trying to make this solution work.

As for the latency... NO FECKING IDEA!!!!!!!!!
I have played with it all day yesterday and all day today... and can find NO way to cut out the TERRIBLEY noticable 3/4 second latency.

THIS IS KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad:

Mike

yo!

keep me updated, I'm also interested in this card, and I wouldn't want a latency of such, is that latency using an asio2 driver with logic...?

Software

I don't see how it could be a software incompatability. I am using Logic Audio platinum which I bought a few months ago. And the Delta 66 COMES with a version of Logic Audio called Delta Logic. So I can not imagine how it could be a software incompatibility. These 2 products seem to be built with each other in mind.

:confused:

Mike

I just bought a Delta 44 and was having many very strange problems. I was like you in that I thought that it couldn't be the drivers because I had just bought it so the drivers must be current, right? Wrong!! I was several versions behind the most current driver, and when I updated it, several problems disappeared. I think that because you are not likely buying your card directly from Midiman that there is a good possibility that your card had been sitting around for awhile.

Update the drivers :) Trust me on this.

ONE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK!

I fixed one problem the old fashion way. BY GETTING ABSOLUTELY PISSED OFF!!!!!!!! Up until now I have been sitting directly infront of my computer with my acoustic guitar w/ Dean markley pickup plugged into the sound hole and plugged into the Delta 66 Omni. I have been trying like mad to get these damn pops and hisses to go away. If it were just when I record then I could have understood, but I heard it even when I was in "idle". So after two days of clicking and reading, clicking and reading... I got so damn mad that I just Suddenly grabbed the guitar and layed it on the floor in discust..... THE FUZZ STOPPED!!!!!!!!!

It was the God Damned magnet in the pickup interfering with the OMNI Delta 66 somehow.

I was so mad and happy at the same time.

Well.... I still have this TERRIBLE latency. I went to the M-Audio Drivers website, and there are 10 million driver options and none of them address latency.

What is S/PDIF? What is ASIO? or ASIO2? How many damn drivers does this sound card have? Which one is causing latency? Apparently I am a totall idiot that just bought the right stuff.

HELP!!!
Mike

:(

i haven't used LOGIC but it should work fine on your PC if you have the right drivers for your soundcard....my use of ASIO is limited...LOGIC is on ASIO , and you have to have the latest drivers ........there are WDM drivers for the delta if you wanna try out a Sonar demo...there is one on the Computer Music magazine for July....it's got more stuff than the one you can dowload.......Sonar with WDM can get ultra low latency with multiple plug ins....i've been wondering how LOGIC fairs with this...i'm talking about live input recording with software effects...audio and midi.

I went to the M-Aduio website and there are 10,000 drivers to download. And the process of un-installing the old ones and installing the new ones seems to be totally above my head, sicne I am using a German computer with windows running in German.

My M-Audio control pannel says that I am using
Drivers version # 5.12.1.1

And that I am using Pannel version # 1.01.10

I can not find if this is the most recent or not?

For those just joining. I am refering to the Delta 66.

http://www.midiman.com/m-audio2.htm

Thanks
Mike

Recording Genius

With this many threads being racked up I will deserve "Recording Idiot" rather than "Recording Genius"
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

for ME the drivers dated july 15 should work....third from the top for ME on the M-AUDIO site. you are running ME? the ones above, the march drivers should work too....maybe better for LOGIC....just haven't used the program.

I told you in my first post to try different angles to rid yourself of the buzz.....

Now, go into the Delta Control Panel mixer and tell me all the settings you have checked off in each of the sections (monitor mixer,patchbay/router, hardware settings, and s/pdif)

Not so sure I'd use the third ones down as j said. These are the relatively new multi-client drivers and may be a little problematic, especially if you're not real comfortable with these matters in the first place. I'm just guessing, though. Perhaps someone who's already using it can weigh in on this:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=29040

I'm almost certain the latency is due to your Logic setting. Go to Audio>Audio Preferences>Audio Drivers and uncheck software monitoring.

Gettign carried away

Hello Guys,

I think that I should try to slow things down on this thread. What I mean is... I have had one problem after another starting with:

1st there was Background Noise from hell...
as well as an eternity of latency...

Then the fuzz was "fixed" when i realized the pickup was causing it.

Then a few cool M.F.ers helped me get on the right path with the setting in Logic...

The latency is GONE!!!!! The Background noise is GONE!!!

Now I can only fucking here it all in my left side of the headphones. ARGHH!!!!!! :mad:

On Playback it is ok... stereo signal.

But when I record, and am "in idle" I only hear it in the left ear.

I am assuming that I have something set wrong in the Delta CONTROL PANEL rather than in Logic. I GUESS. :confused:

Also... there is a setting that addresses latency in the control panel of the Delta CONTROL PANNEL... It is under the "HARDWARE SETTING" and it is marked "ASIO 100 SAMPLES PER BUFFER. The "100" is a drop down menu that goes up to 2700. What should it be set on?

And what about RATE SET.... or RESET RATE WHEN I IDLE. Which should be checked?

INTERNAL XTAL? Check or No check?

If there is any soul that has the Delta 66 up and running with Logic... I would give you a big kiss on the (_!_) if you could make some screen shots of each of the 5 tabs in the control panel and e-mail them to me.

If you don't know how...

Pull up your Delta Control Pannel
Click on the first tab
press "PRINT SCREEN" on the topp rows of your PC keyboard.
Open up Paint
Click on the dotted line square
Press CTRL + V
Save it
then do the same thing to each of your tabs in the CONTROL PANEL...

THANKS A MILLION GUYS!!!!

Mike

Guessing you are recording that guitar in mono, right? You probably have it panned hard left. When it plays back, it comes out both channels cuz it's panned center in logic. Just move the pan slider in Delta control panel to center and you should be set. BTW, I've never been able to set it dead center. Closest I can get is +/- 4%(the numerical pan readout is under the master channel)

A low "samples per buffer" setting will decrease latency but may introduce pops and clicks esp. at high sample rates. Other than that, I don't know much. I've always run 2688 and never get pops or latency. I think with a good 'puter like yours, you should set it high.

Set your master clock to internal and check the "reset rate when idle" box. Just make sure your spdif I/0's are muted. This allows Logic to set the sample rate, and when you are not in Logic, or some other app. with the power to set it, the board is "idle" and operates at the rate clicked on under "codec sample rate." See?

Try this experiment: Set everything like above and click the 48,000 rate. Start Logic but don't close Delta control panel. Using the taskbar, switch back to control panel without closing Logic. What's the rate set to now? Now switch to Logic and set the rate at Audio>Sample Rate. Switch back to control panel and see that you're controlling it! Try this several times to get the hang of it. Lastly, close Logic and check that the rate went back to 48,000.

Tips for omni studio

I have had the omni studio for a couple months now, and went through everything you have described, and then some.

Here is some advice:
1) Get rid of Delta logic and get Cubase or Cakewalk. That alone took away half of my head aches.

2) Get to know the Delta Control Panel. Especially the Patchbay/Router tab, and monitor mixer tab.
In the Patchbay/router tab I use the Monitor Mixer setting under HW 1/2, and HW In3/4 under HW 3/4.
This allows me to record and playback imediately without changing anything.
If you use this don't use the speakers to monitor while recording.

If you want to record a new track with an existing track, use the speakers to playback the music, and Mute the track you're recording on. (make sure to disable recording on the existing track)

3) As you have figured out, don't play facing your computer or Omni I/O. Static!

4) I've been using a ASIO/EASI DMA Buffer size of 2688, and it has seemed to work fine. More latency this way, but prevents unwanted pops and clicks.

5) Rebooting helps improve latency. I notice that when I record alot at once, or mutlple sessions, the latency increases. Rebooting sometimes helps a little.

ap said:

BTW, I've never been able to set it dead center. Closest I can get is +/- 4%(the numerical pan readout is under the master channel)

If you select it then scroll with the wheel on the mouse or with the arrow keys you can get it centered. :)

Pan center

Vox! You rule. This has never been a practical problem but I'm still happy to finally get it.

I've tried selecting it and it never responded. I use a trackball- no wheel. I tried once again after reading your post, this time using the arrowkeys and voila!

Dick Head Award 2001

I must absolutely appologize, :)

I must be the biggest goober to ever decide to record.

I STILL can not get it all to work perfectly.

I followed everyones instructions. I got it to be heard in both headphones. Left and Right... YES!!!!!!!!!! BUT... then when I recorded something, I could hear NOTHING on playback.

So I messed and messed with it, and re-read everyones advice. And now I am back where I started. Nothing in the right ear.

I REALLY would pay cold hard cash if someone would write EXACTLY which boxes need to be clicked and which do not.

And Screen Shots would be PERFECT.

Thanks guys for all the help so far... almost there,

Mike

P.S. You guys accept Deutsch Marks right?

I'd love to do the screenshot thing, but I don't know what "paint" is. Is there another way? Also, the setup is dependent on what you have hooked up and how you're using it. What do you want to plug in and where?

I'll go ahead and make a stab at it anyway, but let's keep it simple. You'll learn just from trying it and you can customize it later. First, in "patchbay / router" set H/W 1/2 to Monitor Mixer. Set the rest to the Wav outs. In "Monitor Mixer" unmute everything except the spdif. Uncheck stereo gang everywhere. Pull all faders up. Pan all left channels hard left, and vice versa, except pan 1 to center. Plug line from preamp or whatever into "Ins 1." Hookup Outs 1 and 2 to your monitors, stereo, headphones, etc. You should now be able to hear the signal in both headphones.

For the next steps, it helps to open both the arrange window and the audio environment window and reduce them each to half the screen so that you can see them and work in them both at the same time.

In Logic, open audio environment. On channel 1 on the mixer, click the circle symbol next to "rec" to make the single circle symbol appear, indicating mono mode. That circle above the fader is the pan. Make sure the knob is set center. The two items above are input and output settings. Set the input to 1 and the output to 1 and 2. Hit the "rec" button on the mixer channel 1 or track 1 "R" in the arrange window, hit the record button on the transport and start recording. Stop. Hit stop button again and Logic takes you back to zero position. Now hit record on track 2, either in mixer or arrange, set the channel 2 mixer just like you did 1. Yes, exactly, since we're still going to record from input 1 and send the output to wavouts 1 and 2. Keepin' it simple, remember. Now record and you should hear both the first recording and current performance, both panned center(L and R headphones).

Don't give up. Sounds like you are suffering from tech overload. Had you been exposed to one system at a time you would see that this really isn't as bad as it seems. Learning Delta control panel and Logic and O/S setup all at once can be overwhelming.

Back