Which DAW would best fit my specific needs?

xcracer

I know there are posts "which is the best". I need advice from someone that has experience with multiple brands. Here is my deal. I record guitars, bass, drums I used Steven Slate Drums 5.5, some vocals. Guitars: Sometimes I will go through my actual guitar rig not a plugin and record. Other times I will use Amplitube and other plugins. Bass: Direct or Plugins. Drums: I use a Trapkat to trigger the SSD5 plugin and record midi. I do need to be able to quantize and paste..etc. Keys: I record audio From a Korg unit but also need to be able to record midi. Vocals: rarely but needed.
I have used Protools MP9 in the past but was not real happy. Did not get its potential out of it I guess. I mostly blame myself. Currently using Ableton Live Lite which has been working good with all of the plugins. Obviously I need more tracks. I miss the mixer that Protools had. I am old school that way I guess. It seems like Ableton is really great for hip-hop type stuff and looping beats of which I do not do. Not to say that this is not the best DAW for me. I like to plug in and record yet have excellent mixing abilities.
I use windows 10, IK multimedia plugins, Axe I/O interface. If I stick with Ableton i need to upgrade for more tracks and
I REALLY do miss the real time faders and mixer like PT. Cost is not really an issue unless it is stupid it's more features. Included plugins is a plus as well as ease of use. I want something with good support that will be around for years. MP9 screwed me when my interface died... then the software was useless. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
With these kinds of questions everyone will just tell you what their favorite DAW is. The correct answer, of course, is Reaper LOL.

Good luck.

Reaper is always the best.
It meets every need.

:-)

Seriously, every modern DAW will do everything you mention and probably about everything you can think of. Some are more convenient than others but that has nothing to do with the DAW.
Some are very convenient -- if you think like the programmer, that is. Some are dreadfully inconvenient -- if you DON'T think like the programmer.
That kinda seems to be the controlling factor because the same DAW will have champions and detractors for literally the exact same process. Go figure.

First I use Ableton, I like it, but unless you are going to play live, lot of money for extras you won't use. But for use recording and live work, nothing beats it.

For straight forward recording, solid programming, price I would always say Reaper.

Now before you jump, if yo find a good deal on a DAW with a lot of good plugins, price those plugins and determine what you need. Reaper is pretty stripped down and you will need to go get the plugins. I have a lot with the Ableton Suite, but I have pretty much moved away from Ableton plugs and went with Waves.

Summary, DAW flow is important and Reaper gives you full access to the software for 30 days and then nag screen at opening after that, but you will need to load it up. If you already have plug ins you like, 99.999% sure, Reaper will bring them in 32/64 no problems.

Reaper is a good DAW, very good programming, starts you out with what you need, EQ, compressor, Reverb for the most part. Ableton is good as well. Just for different things.

Over the years i have used Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools, Sonar, Reaper, some Ableton and FL Studio, both for at home use and when i freelanced at a few studios. I can honestly say they are all good and your needs will be met with all of them if you take some time to learn the software well. I am however, a Cubase guy and personally cannot find any reason to stray from Steinberg's products.

I agree with PierluigiBontem on the following..

...If you want to try Cubase you could take advantage of the promotion Stay Home (#StayHome Elements Collection | Steinberg): 60 days of free Cubase Elements (and other software if you are interested) license. You can join until May 15th.

IMHO Elements or Artist will suit you just fine, and if you want to delve deeper into the game you can always upgrade to the Pro versions. I have always found their support and community very helpful. Just my two cents..:guitar:

I tried Protools, Reaper and Ableton Live Suite. Found that Ableton worked the best for me. Tons of stuff with this program! Thanks everyone for the input.

Yes, Reaper is excellent but...DO download the full, free month's trial of Samplitude ProX 5 (it's a big 'un but that is mostly optional samples) You might just 'click' with the way it works?

There was a review of X3 in Sound on Sound a few years ago which said "There may not be a DAW that 'does it all' but Samplitude ProX 3 comes very close".

Dave.

Back