DAW that acts like a mixing board

18Duffs

HI gang I am a solo acoustic artist and am looking for a DAW
that will function like a mixing board.

I have a Steinburg UR44 and like the DSPMix (windows based)
dspMixFx | Steinberg
except you can only use the included plug ins (which isnt much)

I am looking for a program like the DSPMix, but one that lets me use third party VST Plug ins,

I would like to use it for jamming in my basement and not really recording,
I looked at the Harrison mix bus,
Harrison Consoles
but it looks like a beast as I really only need 3-4 channels

does anyone else have any suggestions?
thanks in advance

You're not going to find a DAW that "only" has 3-4 channels....but that's not a problem, you just create the number of channels you need for a given project.

So you can have a 3-4 channel mixer setup...or a 30-40 channel mixer setup...all form the same DAW...and, yes, the Harrison Mixbus appeal for many is that feels very much like a mixer, with all the key features and functionality available in the channel strips, rather than having to always add a bunch of plugins.
They have some entry level versions of the Mixbus that are pretty inexpensive.

That said...you can get most DAWs to function like a more basic mixer...and then only add the extra stuff when you need it.

Cubase works exactly like a mixer - as do most of them. What are you stuck with? They all nowadays (assuming a multi channel A/D) have volume, pan, eq and sends.

Mixer enough for you?

That is Pro X3 there are much cheaper versions of Samplitude but as said, almost all DAWs have "Mixer View".

N.B. most can also run from a touch pad.

Dave.

Attachments

• sammix.png
    sammix.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 12
They all act like a mixing board. A virtual one that you only see on your computer screen, but a mixing board nontheless.

As varied as hardware mixing boards are, so are the mixers in a Daw. All have to be learned.

I know you stated not needing a lot of channels, but with a daw you can have as little or as many channels as you want.

If you were to get a 8 channel hardware mixer, you'd never be able to get more than that if you needed more channels.

With a DAW, more channels are a mouse click away.
:D

I do have presonus studio one 3 and it has a pretty straight forward mixing board on it,
I guess I was looking for something quick and easy ...
I know that I can use any DAW's mixing board, but I was looking for a standalone mixer , so that I dont have to go in and set up a new session and arm tracks just so I can get a live monitor out to jam.
I probably didn't word my question correctly
the dspMixFx by Steinberg is perfect for my needs but it wont let you use third party plug ins
I guess it is what it is and I will have to work around it

thanks guys

I do have presonus studio one 3 and it has a pretty straight forward mixing board on it,
I guess I was looking for something quick and easy ...
I know that I can use any DAW's mixing board, but I was looking for a standalone mixer , so that I dont have to go in and set up a new session and arm tracks just so I can get a live monitor out to jam.
I probably didn't word my question correctly
the dspMixFx by Steinberg is perfect for my needs but it wont let you use third party plug ins
I guess it is what it is and I will have to work around it

thanks guys

Can you not just setup a template with lots of channels? Open DAW, > template>bisho-bosho?

Dave.

Can you not just setup a template with lots of channels? Open DAW, > template>bisho-bosho?

Dave.

Template is the key.

I don't know how Studio One works, but in Reaper you can create a template that has the number of tracks you need and the various plugins you would use, save this, then simply load Reaper, then load the template.

You asked specifically for a DAW recommendation, but from the way you say you want to use it, I'd highly recommend Gig Performer. Forte is no longer being developed, and I could never get my head around Cantabile.

Gig Performer (GP) is great. Developed by a couple of performing musicians who had day jobs at IBM Research.

GP's v3 update was shown at NAMM 2019 and is shipping now. $100 for either a Windows or a Mac license. $150 for a license for each.

Website: Gig Performer | Cross platform VST/VST3/AU Plugin Host for Performing Musicians

Here's a v2 Intro video. Note that v3 adds setlist and song support. GP also has a very robust scripting system.

There is a feature in the current Sound on Sound about a gal that trains people to use Ableton Live for, er LIVE sound work. Once you get your head around it it is the dog's danglers apparently?

I had the cut down freebie a while ago and could not get on but then I am used to "linear" DAWs like Samplitude.

Dave.

Back