Creative methods for raising funds for gear

wreckd504

Just trying to get cash to buy a new piano and guitar and brainstorming how i can get cash together.

I've got an alright job, but was thinking;

Find stuff to sell/re-sell ebay:
Pros - Can do it from home, very small overhead
Cons- Could get stuck with stock that doesn't sell, have to source stock and research whether it will sell

Advertise my music/studio services in the local street paper
Pros-Reasonably good money per hour
Cons- Won't have much free time for my own music as i work 40ish hours a week

Start selling video tutorials or my session multi tracks?
No idea what the market is like for that though, but i guess it would be easy and fun to do that.

I had a second job as a porter until last week, cos it was draining working 7 days a week, and the tax didn't make it that worthwhile anyway. So i'm trying to think outside the box, rather that just go back to my second job.

What (legal :) ) creative methods have you used to raise funds for musical gear? Or jobs you've done from home?

Have you tried having a bake sale, or perhaps selling cosmetics door-to-door?

I hear tupperwear parties can be a smash.

wreckd504 said:
Just trying to get cash to buy a new piano and guitar and brainstorming how i can get cash together.

I've got an alright job, but was thinking;

Find stuff to sell/re-sell ebay:
Pros - Can do it from home, very small overhead
Cons- Could get stuck with stock that doesn't sell, have to source stock and research whether it will sell

Advertise my music/studio services in the local street paper
Pros-Reasonably good money per hour
Cons- Won't have much free time for my own music as i work 40ish hours a week

Start selling video tutorials or my session multi tracks?
No idea what the market is like for that though, but i guess it would be easy and fun to do that.

I had a second job as a porter until last week, cos it was draining working 7 days a week, and the tax didn't make it that worthwhile anyway. So i'm trying to think outside the box, rather that just go back to my second job.

What (legal :) ) creative methods have you used to raise funds for musical gear? Or jobs you've done from home?

as far as a piano, go on craigslist for your local section. You'd be suprised how many free pianos are listed there, some are even quite amazing. I saw a free hammond B3 once offered by some church who had no idea what the hell it was, as well as some beauitful antique pianos, they're out there. I got a really amazing piano donated to me. dunno about a guitar but you'd most likely be able to find a piano for free on there (I see them about once a month on there for free)

cmon chessrock its a legitimate thread, a lot of muso's have "get-by" jobs/careers and look for different ways to earn some extra cash.

thanks for the heads up terra mortim

I agree with terramortim, try to look on craigslist, people often move or have family members pass away and need to get rid of old pianos, it's true, my aunt even has a piano she would give away, its old and needs some work done though

wreckd504 said:
Does everyone here have a high paying job that also allows them enough time to do music?

I have a low paying job that leaves me no time to do music. :(

I can relate to that, until recently i was working as a porter until i finished some i.t certs and got an o.k job. I'm reluctant however to put in the overtime and do extra qualifications to get ahead, because music is what i really want to do. I'm sure there are lots of other people on this board in a similiar situation. It only bothers me when i need a piece of gear though, or have to pay for music related services.

Top 10 worst ways to raise money for gear:

10. Become a stripper at a gay bar (assuming you're straight).
9. Become Bill Clinton's secretary (assuming you're female).
8. Sell your organs on the black market.
7. Become a drug dealer.
6. Narc on a drug dealer.
5. Threaten to narc on a Congressman's son/daughter.
4. Raise marijuana in your flat above the police station.
3. Patent breathing. Wait a year. Sue someone rich.
2. Find a stop sign that people frequently run and drive through the intersection in a beater car hoping to get hit. Get the repair estimate and then pocket the money instead of getting it fixed. Sue for whiplash if necessary.

...and the #1 worst way to raise money for gear is...
1. Become a freezer repairman in Siberia.

wreckd504 said:
I can relate to that, until recently i was working as a porter until i finished some i.t certs and got an o.k job. I'm reluctant however to put in the overtime and do extra qualifications to get ahead, because music is what i really want to do. I'm sure there are lots of other people on this board in a similiar situation. It only bothers me when i need a piece of gear though, or have to pay for music related services.
I chose to put in the extra effort to get ahead in my IT career. Still not there where I want but I'm making steady progress. Yes, it leaves me with virtually no time for music for now but I'm confident that this investment in extra (study) hours will come back to me. Also I'm not motivated or talented enough to pursue a career in music. I'd rather do it strictly for fun.

I also do the very occasional buy/sell thing on ebay and some freelance programming work on a website. Gives me some extra pocket money. Not that I really need it but it's fun to do.

Just remember that if you want do do something 'out of the box', expect to have to invest some. Whether it's money or time. It won't come flying to you just like that.

Back