Creative EMU 0404 PCI card

jasonm

Hi everyone.

Does anyone have any advice whether anyone out there might still be using or interested in a Creative EMU 0404 PCI card or similar? I have one that has been boxed up for years, but I'm not sure if they are still used or if it is possible to re-home it. I've been using a laptop and USB interface for many years now so have no need for it however I don't like treating gear and electronics as disposable. It is a great piece of kit.

I can put a post in the classifieds section however this is a more general question of if/how/do people still use them.

Thanks!

I had one of those, and the 1010 I used for years--rock solid, and pretty good software to go with it. I switched to RME Raydat--nearly ten times as expensive (I got the 1010 used on EBay), but far better and more versatile. Here's the thing: That 0404 is an obsolete piece of equipment. Unbalanced ins and outs, and not the greatest dynamic range. I'd be shocked if anybody would give you anything for it. The 1010 is better, and I'll give that away right now. It's really not worth much, though it certainly works great, and you can make great recordings with it. Sad to say, but thousands of tons of electronic gear IS disposable, and it's a serious environmental problem. When it's obsolete, it's obsolete, and I'd be willing to bet there isn't going to be a keen nostalgic interest in that 0404 25 years from now. I recently moved and called the Junk people to come and get a lot of old computers, broken audio interfaces, perfectly useable old stereos, lots of obsolete USB cables, phone chargers, etc. It's mind-boggling to think of all the electronic stuff that goes in the garbage, but that is capitalism, isn't it? Anyway, don't get nostalgic for stuff like that.
I should say that ironically I'm nostalgic in a way about the gear I have and had. I don't want to get rid of stuff even though I'm never going to use it again. I want to believe that somehow the stuff will be relevant again, though it never will. I have two Nakamichi cassette decks, both not working. I keep meaning to send the one in to be repaired, but we'll se about that. I never play the dozens of cassettes I have. Never. Yet I keep them. The Naks have a cachet about them, so maybe that's why I keep them. And they cost a ton too, originally.

Thanks! I suspected as much. I'm not attached to the thing but wanted to make sure I'd sought some advice before getting rid of it.

I had the 0404 PCI for many years. There is no value in them anymore. I tossed mine in the trash.

Back