creating a home studio

the_doc735

hi everyone, I'm new!

what do i need to create a professional digital sounding home recording studio?
I have an electric guitar.
A line 6 pod x3 live.
APC 20.
A keyboard trigger (no sounds).
A trigger drum pad (no sounds).

what else do I need?
There are no vocals!

PC?
Sound card?
loads of memory?
DAW?
...etc.

many thanks!

A room with good acoustics. ... Good monitors.
For mixing, yes, but it reads to me like it's all going ITB (for recording).

An audio interface (USB 2.0) with a couple of XLR/combo/line inputs and probably MIDI connection, though if the MIDI devices all have USB connections, then just make sure the PC has USB ports to go around. Base the number and specific type of interface inputs on the requirements of the equipment you'll be plugging in, and whether you want to plug and unplug when changing devices or have everything plugged in all the time.

A pretty fast PC with fast SSDs and a fair amount of memory (16GB) and at least 3 USB ports (interface, MIDI, external drive), maybe more.

For mixing, yes, but it reads to me like it's all going ITB (for recording).

An audio interface (USB 2.0) with a couple of XLR/combo/line inputs and probably MIDI connection, though if the MIDI devices all have USB connections, then just make sure the PC has USB ports to go around. Base the number and specific type of interface inputs on the requirements of the equipment you'll be plugging in, and whether you want to plug and unplug when changing devices or have everything plugged in all the time.

A pretty fast PC with fast SSDs and a fair amount of memory (16GB) and at least 3 USB ports (interface, MIDI, external drive), maybe more.

does it matter about a sound card for playback?
thanks!

I suppose it's connecting all my boxes up that worries and puzzles me most of all?
And, does the interface remove the need for an internal PC sound card? i.e. it's an external sound card but has better input and an output for active monitors?

I suppose it's connecting all my boxes up that worries and puzzles me most of all?
And, does the interface remove the need for an internal PC sound card? i.e. it's an external sound card but has better input and an output for active monitors?
Yes, an external audio interface becomes the "soundcard" for the PC. So, if everything you have listed connects via USB, and you have enough USB ports to connect everything, you technically would not need an interface, at least for inputs.

Connecting your typical, powered studio monitors would benefit from an audio interface with balanced outputs intended for monitors (IMO), because the PC will not have those and may not even have line-level outputs other than the headphone jack. (Note, entry audio interfaces sometimes only have unbalanced outputs, so I'd put balanced monitor outputs on the list of requirements when shopping.)

The X3 may have both USB and line-level outputs (my HD400 did). When I had POD, I always used the analog/line output because it was what I'd also send to the PA, and the USB output never really sounded quite the same. Of course, if you never use the analog outputs of the POD, that may not be an issue. Keep in mind, though, the POD's USB connection will actually make it an audio interface/soundcard for the PC, so you can't easily mix it in that way with another external interface. Then you are best using the balanced output of the X3 (and if you want it in stereo, you need 2 line-level inputs on the audio interface).

Last edited:
Yes, a USB audio interface takes the place of the computer's internal soundcard.
You don't need 16G of RAM unless you are doing a lot of virtual instruments/inputting a lot of simultaneous tracks. I'm using 8G Ram with multiple VSTs all the time.
You need acoustic treatment if you are going to mix with monitors.

Yes, an external audio interface becomes the "soundcard" for the PC. So, if everything you have listed connects via USB, and you have enough USB ports to connect everything, you technically would not need an interface, at least for inputs.

Connecting your typical, powered studio monitors would benefit from an audio interface with balanced outputs intended for monitors (IMO), because the PC will not have those and may not even have line-level outputs other than the headphone jack. (Note, entry audio interfaces sometimes only have unbalanced outputs, so I'd put balanced monitor outputs on the list of requirements when shopping.)

The X3 may have both USB and line-level outputs (my HD400 did). When I had POD, I always used the analog/line output because it was what I'd also send to the PA, and the USB output never really sounded quite the same. Of course, if you never use the analog outputs of the POD, that may not be an issue. Keep in mind, though, the POD's USB connection will actually make it an audio interface/soundcard for the PC, so you can't easily mix it in that way with another external interface. Then you are best using the balanced output of the X3 (and if you want it in stereo, you need 2 line-level inputs on the audio interface).

Yes, a USB audio interface takes the place of the computer's internal soundcard.
You don't need 16G of RAM unless you are doing a lot of virtual instruments/inputting a lot of simultaneous tracks. I'm using 8G Ram with multiple VSTs all the time.
You need acoustic treatment if you are going to mix with monitors.

many thanks! that makes it a little clearer to me!

PC is no problem as I have been putting them together since 1995. But what is all this with using 2 or 3 monitors with a DAW? How does that work, never been down that route before! Isn't one screen enough?
cheers!

PC is no problem as I have been putting them together since 1995. But what is all this with using 2 or 3 monitors with a DAW? How does that work, never been down that route before! Isn't one screen enough?
cheers!
Pretty sure we're using "monitors" to mean studio monitors (powered speakers).

Some folks do use multiple displays, but that's when you have a lot of tracks and are usually putting a big "console" view on one, and tracks/plugins and such on the other, perhaps. A good 20"+ one is usually plenty and of course folks work on laptops, even iPads.

Pretty sure we're using "monitors" to mean studio monitors (powered speakers).

Some folks do use multiple displays, but that's when you have a lot of tracks and are usually putting a big "console" view on one, and tracks/plugins and such on the other, perhaps. A good 20"+ one is usually plenty and of course folks work on laptops, even iPads.

Sorry, I meant displays (for visuals) not sound/audio monitors in this context.

I wish I'd made a note of everyone who says "I won't need microphones". That beautiful guitar you suddenly have to buy, or the friend who "only" needs some basic recording of them singing, or the person who dangles money for a short voice over. I wonder if anyone ever sticks with their first idea?

However - you DID say
professional digital sounding home recording studio

That rather does mean speakers, doesn't it. Headphones are more popular for music that will be listened to ON headphones nowadays, but most music involves speakers. Most guitarists turn into monsters who MUST record into nice real amps and speakers and then you need that microphone again,

What you want now - will be different from what you want next year - trust us.

I wish I'd made a note of everyone who says "I won't need microphones". That beautiful guitar you suddenly have to buy, or the friend who "only" needs some basic recording of them singing, or the person who dangles money for a short voice over. I wonder if anyone ever sticks with their first idea?

However - you DID say

That rather does mean speakers, doesn't it. Headphones are more popular for music that will be listened to ON headphones nowadays, but most music involves speakers. Most guitarists turn into monsters who MUST record into nice real amps and speakers and then you need that microphone again,

What you want now - will be different from what you want next year - trust us.

Yes, but I don't sing! But I know those who do! Ummm? :listeningmusic:

So, if I have a PC/DAW sending output through USB, what equipment is available with a 1/4 inch headphone jack and balanced XLR speaker outputs, plus say at least 2 mic/instrument inputs? ...can't find any audio interfaces with the XLR outs?

Interfaces will at least have balanced TRS outs. Do your monitors have XLR and TRS balanced inputs?

Mine have both and they're doing ok with TRS lines.

Unless OP means something completely different he already has an interface, the Line 6 Pod X3 and the guide, https://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/data/6/...20.653911037.1598073273-1739868599.1598073273
Shows a very comprehensive amount of I/O (p13) including MIDI in and out on DIN. They seem to have fallen off the radar recently but the Line 6 interfaces always used to get a good rep and had low latency.

OP, will need a rake of DIN cables to hook things up and some software to generate sounds, drums etc and I would guess Reaper would serve to get him going?

The HD650s are well respected but monitors of some sort are generally more convenient when playing and some say headphones make final mixes difficult.

Room treatment is highly desirable of course but if a typical small bedroom with carpet, bed and other 'soft stuff' about it should be reasonable with small monitors close too. What 'Near field monitoring' is all about in any case! OP is not going to get smooth, sub 80Hz bass in a small room no matter what he does.

Yes, 8 G of ram is totally adequate IMHO for even quite complex audio work. SSD, does not need to be huge, small external USB 3.0 1tB drive to save/backup keeping large files off the SSD.

Yes, get a mic! The Pod has an XLR input and you never know when you will need it. Fork! If nothing else you can use it to 'slate' takes...i.e. "Take ten, trying to nail this *&*^g riff!" If cash is limited the Behringer 8500 dynamic is a steal at ~$20.

Dave.

Back