Crackling sound on audio recording. High DPC latency issue ACPI.sys and ndis.sys

don96

Hi,

I am having some issues with audio recording that seems to be caused by high DPC latency issues. I record music with a mixer that I is plugged into my laptop through usb. On the record I can hear crackling sounds. I have searched for solutions on many forums and communities but have not yet found a solution. Based on what I found there, it apparently has something to do with high latency and maybe a bug in an earlier windows update. I have tried all "standard procedures" that are described there, like maximizing power, disabling power throttling, turning off the WIFI etc.. Furthermore, all drivers, the BIOS, and Windows are updated. The thing is, the mixer is brand new so I also do not know when this "behaviour started", since I just bought the mixer. I know it's not the mixer, since it is brand new and the correct and latest drivers and firmware are downloaded.

Another solution I found in communities is the Windows 10 cumulative update KB4505903. I found the update but unfortunately when I tried to install the update, I get an error saying the update can not be downloaded on my computer.

I am using a laptop with the following specs:

Lenovo 330S-14IKB Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81F4

Processor: 1x Intel Core i5-8250U Processor(Core i5-8250U)
Memory: 1x 4GB DDR4 2400
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64(EN:English,FR:French,DE:German,NL:Netherlands Dutch)
Hard Drive: 1x 128GB PCIe
Wireless Network: 1x
Ports: 1x Combo Audio Jack
Camera: 1x Slim HD camera
Graphics: 1x Intel UHD 620

I also ran a scan by LatencyMon for multiple times and it appears that the high latency is caused by ndis.sys and ACPI.sys. I am desperately looking for a solution since my new DJ-setup is useless if I can not properly record mixes. I bought it a week ago so I only have e few days left to decide if I have to return it, but I really do not want to be forced to return it due to issues with my laptop.. If any of you have any suggestions how to solve this, please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Try tuning off wifi , Bluetooth and any other background services you can. Do a you tube search for optimizing windows for DAW and never try to run without being plugged in.

Thanks for your response. I indeed tried recording with wifi, bluetooth and all background apps turned off. The only thing id have not tried is recording when my laptop is plugged in. Will do that asap to test.

Another question..:

I just found out that the cumulative update that solves the issue for some people is build for windows 10 1903, and I installed windows 10 1909 yesterday. Could that be the reason I can not download that particular cumulative update? If so, is it recommended to try to

1. Uninstall Windows 10 1909
2. Install the cumulative update provided by microsoft
3. Install windows 10 1909 (or maybe only do this if the issue remains after installing the cumulatove update?)

Most audio issues are caused by buffer size increase a step at a time and retest, that should resolve it, modern interfaces have monitoring methods so that simple round trip latency is not the problem.

I have also tried that! In addition to the changes I earlier made, I adjusted some settings here and there and for now the issue seems te be gone. I took a few test recordings and have not heard the crackling noises yet. So, for now I'm definitely happy with that. But, I ran several scans on LatencyMon and it still shows high DPC latency.. Could this be a problem or still cause problems in the future, even without making any changes in my current settings?

Glad you solved your crackling noise problem. I had the same or similar problem after migrating from my old Win 7 Laptop to my Win 10 PC but only when I used my newer Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 interface. I didn't have the crackling noise on recording in Cubase 10 Pro DAW using my older Tascam US-144-MKII interface on Win 10 PC only using Focusrite. I contacted Focusrite & followed their advice to conduct all the optimizing steps to optimize Win 10 for audio including an online LatencyMon test showing no latency problem, but I still had the problem. Then I just happened to find if I plugged Focurite into my front USB port instead of the back one, the crackling noise problem stopped. I found my back USB port was USB3 while my front was USB2 so maybe that's the reason tho my PC was built from a kit & maybe its uncommon. Anyways its still working AOK using Focusrite months later.

I have also tried that! In addition to the changes I earlier made, I adjusted some settings here and there and for now the issue seems te be gone. I took a few test recordings and have not heard the crackling noises yet. So, for now I'm definitely happy with that. But, I ran several scans on LatencyMon and it still shows high DPC latency.. Could this be a problem or still cause problems in the future, even without making any changes in my current settings?

I have never had a problem with audio on this HP i3 G6 Laptop but after reading your post a few days ago I ran Latency Mon...all fine for some 5 mins then,WHAMMO! Paging file problem and a warning "Your system may no be able to play audio files..." di da. I resolved to sort the problem out but 'king LIFE intervened and I never got back to it.

So, like your finding, it seems LMon is pretty pessimistic?

BTW the laptop has 8G of memory so I would not have thought it would be using a swap file much at all? There is a good 150G left on the 5,400rpm drive.

Dave.

Yeah, I don't know. It sure has something to do with latency. Since I changed some settings here and there, the problem with my autio recordings disappeared, but the latency also reduced. It's still high though, but it at least reduced a bit. However, the problem with the audio quality of my recordings is solved so I'm happy about that!

Yeah, someone also recommended me top try that! But, I did not use a USB2 port. The one I used was a USB3 port

The crackling noises will go away when you bounce (non-real-time), if they come back.

Try freezing some tracks or even all of them and just unfreeze if you find something other than level/pan/send isn’t enough to finish your mix.

Freezing tracks and/or disabling piggy plugins might help latency when recording.

A recent OS X or Logic update has made my old Mini start choking on older projects it used to manage just fine. Not a happy time...

Back