Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Crackle crackle pop pop

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Agreed, Fingerz. I've cleaned out many a computer where the user was a heavy smoker and that stuff just layers on components, then collects junk like there's no tomorrow. Often you can clean things out with some good contact cleaner.

I just spend a hour updating my desktop machine. Put in a Samsung EVO860 500GB SSD, cloned the drive from the original 1TB drive, then swapped that out for a 2TB Barracuda data drive. Everything is up and running with no problem. Bootup takes about 10 seconds now. We'll see how much it affects Reaper's operation. The nice thing about the Barracuda is that it is noticeably quieter than the WD drive that I pulled. Since it resides in an encloser in the desk, I won't have any issue with noise from the drive.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerzAndKeyz View Post
    It looks like a new computer fixed the issue, but you still don't know what the cause was, do you? Just wondering if there was any dust inside the computer, clumping around components. I don't want to say this is the cause, but especially around capacitors, clumps of dust can end up arcing, which causes minuscule sparks that could be picked up in audio software.

Something as simple as keeping a computer on a carpeted floor allows the fans to suck carpet dust up into the computer. Not only does this dust end up causing arcs, it could also ultimately cause a motherboard to overheat. And if someone is a smoker, the tars get sucked up into the computer and lands on the dust, making it almost a solid over time. Just an observation. I can't say this is what the issue was, but dust slowly accumulates over time and we don't notice it.
    Sorry but this is hogwash, the "arcing" I mean. I have over some 50 years opened up radios and TVs where there is a layer of dust 6mm or more thick AND people all smoked in those days and had open and gas fires. The voltages involved were 20 times those found in computers but the dust never seemed to cause a bit of harm much less 'arc'!

Could be a faulty capacitor but even they get a lot more stick than they deserve. Dry joint possibly, loose MOBO earth screw? We can only speculate but dust? No way.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Sorry but this is hogwash, the "arcing" I mean. I have over some 50 years opened up radios and TVs where there is a layer of dust 6mm or more thick AND people all smoked in those days and had open and gas fires. The voltages involved were 20 times those found in computers but the dust never seemed to cause a bit of harm much less 'arc'!

Could be a faulty capacitor but even they get a lot more stick than they deserve. Dry joint possibly, loose MOBO earth screw? We can only speculate but dust? No way.

Dave.
    The main problem with dust is that it clogs up heatsinks and contributes to overheating.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    The main problem with dust is that it clogs up heatsinks and contributes to overheating.
    THAT ^ is very true and you only need a fraction of a mm on a fan's blades to reduce its efficiency very considerably. ( MWave oven fans suffer this problem)

Dave.

Thanks
    Maybe arcing as you seem to understand it isn't the correct term. And I'm sure you're talking about basic dust and lint. But, when it's been there a while and things from an office atmosphere mix with fibers from some carpets, connections can be affected, from surface traces on the motherboard. Like I said, maybe arcing isn't the correct word to use, but it does happen. I don't have 50 years experience, but I do have nearly 30 years. I serviced mostly office computers, where they were placed on the office carpet and just the computer fans sucked everything at floor level into the computer.

I'm not saying this is going to happen in a clean room or smokeless studio, etc, or a computer that's taken care of. But, I've seen it happen in an office environment. The voltage inside a computer isn't much, so carpet dust from walking around the office and vacuuming the carpets, those fibers get sucked into the computers. Mylar with a shiny coating is a conductor of current (mostly static charges) and some office carpets have Mylar and similar fibers in them for durability. True, overheating is the main issue with just dust. But, when you get other fibers in the mix other than lint and dust bunnies, other things can happen.
    Music ~ the International Language

Thread Information