Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Crackle crackle pop pop

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I sorta hate to say it but I really don't think your computer is the issue. I've run win7 with speeds like that and low RAM with Reaper up to 22 tracks with various effects...etc.....no real issues. Maybe an occasional crackle here and there when the mix is full up......but they were never recorded on my tracks ever. Ignore my dumb question but are you sure you don't have a bad cable somewhere.......either in the power supply area or the input area? The noises are on the individual tracks.......or at least one right? Or are you saying this only happens when you render?

Being wrong is easy for me.......so keep that in mind........but somehow I don't think it's your computer. And man.......transitioning to another one can be frustrating as well.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    The new scarlet drivers since they probably do a little more than the old interface might be pushing you over on your resources. It seems the interface drivers do a little more than just route audio. I tried to see if that was the case but couldn't get a concrete idea what was going on between the interface and the DAW.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    CPU is showing at 4% in Reaper's performance meter - FX +

Task manager shows nothing peaking out, Reaper is using 487M of Ram, and is steady. The Focusrite software is less than 2M. I had already shut down a few processes running in the background (Dropbox, etc) - didn't make a difference.

Verified again that previously-recorded tracks do not have the crackling in the recordings, but can be heard (but fainter than the tracks recorded Saturday (with Tascam) and Sunday with the 8i6.

I processed a short video using the internal soundcard, earlier, no crackling.

I'm at a loss. If I buy a new computer and it still does it, then something is picking up external interference - weird thing is I heard a phone ring - through my monitors - about a week ago. Could something in the system be acting like a receiver?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    CPU is showing at 4% in Reaper's performance meter - FX +

Task manager shows nothing peaking out, Reaper is using 487M of Ram, and is steady. The Focusrite software is less than 2M. I had already shut down a few processes running in the background (Dropbox, etc) - didn't make a difference.

Verified again that previously-recorded tracks do not have the crackling in the recordings, but can be heard (but fainter than the tracks recorded Saturday (with Tascam) and Sunday with the 8i6.

I processed a short video using the internal soundcard, earlier, no crackling.

I'm at a loss. If I buy a new computer and it still does it, then something is picking up external interference - weird thing is I heard a phone ring - through my monitors - about a week ago. Could something in the system be acting like a receiver?
    Have you tried installing on another computer and load up Reaper? Daily driver or something. I am sure you thought about it, Reaper takes nothing to install and the scarlett probably not so much either. Maybe 30-60 minute test.

I hate to see you buy a computer if you don't need it, but then again, maybe this is good to get you to move on
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    What did LatencyMon point out as the worst offending DPC latency component? That'll give you some insight into what device/driver might be causing the issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    What did LatencyMon point out as the worst offending DPC latency component? That'll give you some insight into what device/driver might be causing the issue.
    Ran it last night, it said BIOS should be updated and to turn off CPU throttling (power settings). I had not done any Win updates in years - had turned off the automatic updates, and it was seldom hooked to the 'net. Took some time to do updates, so will test it today after work.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Ran it last night, it said BIOS should be updated and to turn off CPU throttling (power settings). I had not done any Win updates in years - had turned off the automatic updates, and it was seldom hooked to the 'net. Took some time to do updates, so will test it today after work.
    Not a PC guru by any shakes of small sheep's tail but, don't do a BIOS update unless there is no other alternative. This was advice I had recently (Pete Kaine SoS) but if'n y'HAFt, be on a full battery or an SMPSU.

Dave.

Thanks
    I did all the updates recommended, no change in the sound. Still crackling away the same as before. New computer is on order.

Thanks
    I think those items sound like a good starting point. On an older machine, BIOS updates aren't quite as simple as they've been made recently. Like Dave says, make sure there is nearly zero chance of power interruptions as you update. Otherwise, it should be fine and just might heal some performance issues. Windows updates are always a double-edged sword, but they generally do much more good than harm.

Once your system is all updated and stable, try running that latency monitor again and maybe it can find something else to gripe about

*edit* sorry, I had this page up for several hours before I replied, so I didn't see your reply.

Hey, nothing wrong with a new computer. But if you'd like to keep fidgeting with the old one, might as well give another run to LatencyMon and see what it comes up with now.

Thanks
    So I boot up the computer this morning to process a video - I use an old Roxio Creator that still runs on Win 7 (with occasional crashes). Roxio would not boot up today - after all the updates. Said 'F it' and did a system restore, then computer would not restart. Cold rebooting now.

Thread Information