Crackle crackle pop pop

IMO...those system restores are not as accurate (or safe) as one would expect.
UP to Win XP, you had more control over creating system snapshots, and then you could pick which to resort up to several going back in time.
With 7 and beyond...you are at the complete mercy of the system and what it wants to save or restore.

My preference is to create Ghost images a couple of times a year...and in-between, I keep a record of anything new I might install, which these days is only new plugins, and that's not all that many per year anymore, as I have more than I need already.
So if the system craps, I would use the last image, and then just manually reinstall the stuff I added after doing the image.

Back in the day, I would wipe the HDs and manually reinstall the OS and everything else, but that was a lot of work. With the Ghost images, I stopped doing that, though IMO, a true fresh installation of everything was the only way I knew everything was installed correctly.
System restore, the few times I've used it, always seemed to be "partial"...like some stuff would restore, some things would be missing or not be the correct version...etc...and doing it enough times, you end up with corrupt system that exhibits weird behavior.

Since you've gone this deep...maybe you might do a clean, fresh installation of everything.
Is this just your dedicated DAW computer...or like your "everything" computer?

So I boot up the computer this morning to process a video - I use an old Roxio Creator that still runs on Win 7 (with occasional crashes). Roxio would not boot up today - after all the updates. Said 'F it' and did a system restore, then computer would not restart. Cold rebooting now.

Maybe HD dying?

What's a "cold reboot" Mike? Re creating an image? I have just done this for my new Lenovo T510 and ran into a snag at first.

Because the laptop has only a small,160G SSD I also bought a 1Tb USB 3.0 drive to dump stuff onto (I have also backed up most of the thumb drives I have acquired over the years) About a week ago I decided to make an image of the C drive.

"Cannot proceed. Drive formatted to exFAT" So I was stuffed. I had 103G of data already saved on the USB drive and formatting it to NTFS would of course delete it all.

Long S short. There is NO downside to having such a drive formatted NTFS if you are a sole Windows user, exFAT is universal. Fairy nuff but a heads up when you first connect the drive would be nice!

I have now moved the data off to the HDD on my old HP (over 2 freakin' hours!) Formatted it on the T510 and made the image. I have also created a System Repair DVD.

(btw Mike? I suspect this whole venture is to convince 'er indoors that you MUST get a new computer!)

Dave.

If you create a clone from something like Acronis, it is really straight forward. If you use Clonezilla, while a very capable cloning program, doesn't allow (or at least it didn't) to clone from different size disks. Acronis and some of the other commercial software does.

I have used Acronis when my drives were failing. Random boot issues, blue screens and Windows always repairing when running chkdsk are good (or bad) signs. I simple plugged in my new drive, did source->target to the new drive and I was done. If it is a laptop, get a USB disk drive adapter, do the same thing and replace. For Acronis it was built to allow for going from smaller to larger drive. If it is larger to smaller, if the old data will fit to the smaller drive it will allow.

Dave - 'cold reboot' is shutting off the computer by holding in the power button until it unfreezes and shuts down, then re-starting (but not in 'safe mode). It eventually restarted yesterday. Before I go any further, I'm backing up my files, been a few months (but haven't recorded much).

On 'System Restore' - its easy to create new restore points (manually), but if there is a Win update, Windows will create a new restore point - and many times delete all the previous ones.

Anyway, new computer is on its way. I went for the 256G SSD, figuring its the best bet for a quiet computer. I held onto the old HP so long for recording because it was so quiet - only processing HD videos ever kicked the fans into high gear.

-------
Afternoon update
Tried to edit a video using Serif software as the old Roxio won't load at all now. Could not move or delete the video file - Windows Explorer kept crashing. Started it in Safe Mode, deleted the file, copied the Explorer EXE file into the Systems 32 folder, restarted, seems to work now.
Tried LatencyMon, its says the system is ok for audio. Nope, opened older Reaper files, the crackling is still there during playback. Guess I should try installing the Focusrite on this computer to check IT.

Other interesting thing - I am unable to select the Focusrite in the Windows audio system to use as the default audio, it doesn't find the device when I try it, yet it comes up in Reaper's options fine.

---------
Ok, the Focusrite works fine on my other computer (this one). No crackling on playback.

Last edited:
New computer came today. Super quiet, of course. Reaper, VSTs and Focusrite drivers installed, works with no crackling, YAY! Still need to get PodFarm and EZDrummer installed, transferring licenses.

Sounds like the hard drive is probably the issue. Its an easy replacement, if you can get a good image. The things that you have to go through to restore a system these days is just crazy. Give me a full DVD copy of the OS to install from, and I'll be good to go. A hidden partitiion image is worthless when the HD craps out.

I had never used SSD, as I had read too many horror stories over the years about drives going belly up too quickly. I think most of those issues have been resolved. I picked up a Lenovo S340 with a 256gb SSD and an I7 processor. it's quick. It impressed me enough to pickup a 500gb SSD to put in my Reaper/Powerdirector desktop, along with a 2.5gb data drive. They came in Thursday, so when I get time, I'll clone the current 1tb drive onto the 500, and modify my paths to put the data on the second drive. Then the original drive goes into the firesafe for backup.

New computer came today. Super quiet, of course. Reaper, VSTs and Focusrite drivers installed, works with no crackling, YAY! Still need to get PodFarm and EZDrummer installed, transferring licenses.

So a little late to the party but looking at the idea of returning the old unit to usefulness (as a backup or whatever), i would suggest that RAM may be going bad or even loose/contacts faults as well as possible hard drive issues, and even virus possibilities. I have even found that removing and re-seating the RAM sometimes fixed issues like this for me

There's one other issue that crops up on older computers. Some years ago, there were a lot of substandard capacitors which found their way into all manner of devices. They are easy to spot as they will start to bulge out at the top. My brother had a couple of motherboards that needed caps replaced. I had several in a Panasonic DVD recorder. If you're handy with a soldering iron, they are usually easily replaced. If its a desktop, a quick check to pop open the case and check all the electrolytic caps is easy. If you see anything that looks like this, it needs to be replaced.

bulged_capacitor.jpg

If the old computer is a laptop, you might still be able to check it but its much more difficult.

It looks like a new computer fixed the issue, but you still don't know what the cause was, do you? Just wondering if there was any dust inside the computer, clumping around components. I don't want to say this is the cause, but especially around capacitors, clumps of dust can end up arcing, which causes minuscule sparks that could be picked up in audio software.

Something as simple as keeping a computer on a carpeted floor allows the fans to suck carpet dust up into the computer. Not only does this dust end up causing arcs, it could also ultimately cause a motherboard to overheat. And if someone is a smoker, the tars get sucked up into the computer and lands on the dust, making it almost a solid over time. Just an observation. I can't say this is what the issue was, but dust slowly accumulates over time and we don't notice it.

Agreed, Fingerz. I've cleaned out many a computer where the user was a heavy smoker and that stuff just layers on components, then collects junk like there's no tomorrow. Often you can clean things out with some good contact cleaner.

I just spend a hour updating my desktop machine. Put in a Samsung EVO860 500GB SSD, cloned the drive from the original 1TB drive, then swapped that out for a 2TB Barracuda data drive. Everything is up and running with no problem. Bootup takes about 10 seconds now. We'll see how much it affects Reaper's operation. The nice thing about the Barracuda is that it is noticeably quieter than the WD drive that I pulled. Since it resides in an encloser in the desk, I won't have any issue with noise from the drive.

It looks like a new computer fixed the issue, but you still don't know what the cause was, do you? Just wondering if there was any dust inside the computer, clumping around components. I don't want to say this is the cause, but especially around capacitors, clumps of dust can end up arcing, which causes minuscule sparks that could be picked up in audio software.

Something as simple as keeping a computer on a carpeted floor allows the fans to suck carpet dust up into the computer. Not only does this dust end up causing arcs, it could also ultimately cause a motherboard to overheat. And if someone is a smoker, the tars get sucked up into the computer and lands on the dust, making it almost a solid over time. Just an observation. I can't say this is what the issue was, but dust slowly accumulates over time and we don't notice it.

Sorry but this is hogwash, the "arcing" I mean. I have over some 50 years opened up radios and TVs where there is a layer of dust 6mm or more thick AND people all smoked in those days and had open and gas fires. The voltages involved were 20 times those found in computers but the dust never seemed to cause a bit of harm much less 'arc'!

Could be a faulty capacitor but even they get a lot more stick than they deserve. Dry joint possibly, loose MOBO earth screw? We can only speculate but dust? No way.

Dave.

Sorry but this is hogwash, the "arcing" I mean. I have over some 50 years opened up radios and TVs where there is a layer of dust 6mm or more thick AND people all smoked in those days and had open and gas fires. The voltages involved were 20 times those found in computers but the dust never seemed to cause a bit of harm much less 'arc'!

Could be a faulty capacitor but even they get a lot more stick than they deserve. Dry joint possibly, loose MOBO earth screw? We can only speculate but dust? No way.

Dave.

The main problem with dust is that it clogs up heatsinks and contributes to overheating.

The main problem with dust is that it clogs up heatsinks and contributes to overheating.

THAT ^ is very true and you only need a fraction of a mm on a fan's blades to reduce its efficiency very considerably. ( MWave oven fans suffer this problem)

Dave.

Maybe arcing as you seem to understand it isn't the correct term. And I'm sure you're talking about basic dust and lint. But, when it's been there a while and things from an office atmosphere mix with fibers from some carpets, connections can be affected, from surface traces on the motherboard. Like I said, maybe arcing isn't the correct word to use, but it does happen. I don't have 50 years experience, but I do have nearly 30 years. I serviced mostly office computers, where they were placed on the office carpet and just the computer fans sucked everything at floor level into the computer.

I'm not saying this is going to happen in a clean room or smokeless studio, etc, or a computer that's taken care of. But, I've seen it happen in an office environment. The voltage inside a computer isn't much, so carpet dust from walking around the office and vacuuming the carpets, those fibers get sucked into the computers. Mylar with a shiny coating is a conductor of current (mostly static charges) and some office carpets have Mylar and similar fibers in them for durability. True, overheating is the main issue with just dust. But, when you get other fibers in the mix other than lint and dust bunnies, other things can happen.

I have noticed this sometimes when i have a huge project going loaded with A BIG BUNCH of plugins, and i am running on a 2018 studio computer. I have made a habit of printing tracks instead of having too much midi running in the background, it really eats up your RAM.

I have found it helps a lot in the whole mixing process, and sometimes even in the writing process too, as it helps you decide on the raw sound right then and there.

But yeah... print your Midi things to actual audio tracks and you will see this disappear.

IF by any chance this isnt a plugin issue... have you tried recording using another cable? haha (lot's of experience with this being the little devil after going through the whole studio)

Hello Soundwoofer, welcome to HR.com. Before advising on a thread, it sometimes helps to read all the posts in it first. In the case of this one, it was an issue not fixable by the normal troubleshooting methods.
But problem solved - with a new SSD computer.

mjbphotos..

I realize my question is off topic from the first post of this thread, but was wondering how you like your Scarlett 8i6 so far and why you chose it over all the other audio interfaces out there ?
I've been looking at the 8i6 and the Motu M4 and a little unsure which one to go with.
My current audio interface is an old M-audio Delta 66 which still works fine in my Win 7 computer but there is no driver for Win 10.
I'm replacing my Win7 computer with a Win 10 computer and will need an audio interface for it.

I chose the Focusrite by the reviews and recommendations that the preamps are very good and drivers have been developed enough to be stable. The Motu is USB-C, so adapters needed to connect to USB (2,3).

mjbphotos..

I realize my question is off topic from the first post of this thread, but was wondering how you like your Scarlett 8i6 so far and why you chose it over all the other audio interfaces out there ?
I've been looking at the 8i6 and the Motu M4 and a little unsure which one to go with.
My current audio interface is an old M-audio Delta 66 which still works fine in my Win 7 computer but there is no driver for Win 10.
I'm replacing my Win7 computer with a Win 10 computer and will need an audio interface for it.

Honestly, I think that either of those will be a marked improvement over the old Delta. Do note that you're talking about an 8-input interface versus a 4-input interface. I'm a total fanboy over the M4, it's a great sounding interface (and I've used almost all of them in this price range). And that display! Oh, it's just so good. But your primary decision point when buying an interface is how many inputs and outputs you need. First decide on that, then look at the interfaces on the market that fit that need. There's hardly a bad option out there in today's market, the race between all of the big brands at this price point is really neck-and-neck.

The Motu is USB-C, so adapters needed to connect to USB (2,3).

The M4 comes with a USB-C to USB-A cable, and has been compatible with both USB2 and USB3 ports for me, even through a powered USB2 hub. So no worries about adapting it, it'll plug straight into a computer that has standard USB-A ports.

Back