CoolEdit / Windows 10?

cwhowell2

Not sure where to post this, so I'll start here. I record using a Tascam DP-24 but edit and master on a PC with CoolEdit 2000. I am being pressured by friends and MicroSoft to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 but am concerned about my 15 year old copy of CoolEdit which I bought when it was still $59. (Now hundreds) And I have no desire to switch to Audacity. Can anybody tell me if CoolEdit 2000 runs ok on Windows-10 before I take the plunge?
Thanks - Bill

Reaper runs fine on Windows 10 :)

There's not a huge pressing reason to upgrade an audio workstation to Win10. Eventually it'll become a problem, but if you're on Win7 you'll have some time before you're forcefully ejected from the playground. If you're dead-set on using the very aged CoolEdit, just stick with Win7. If you want to move to Win10, then it's time to start evaluating new software. You can surely give CoolEdit a try on Win10, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it working. Reaper is free to try, has a fully-functional 60-day trial, and only nags you once the trial expires. $60 for a full personal license, and it's full-featured and easy to use. It's hard not to recommend Reaper, considering your situation. Either that, or get on the subscription train with Adobe Audition. Or continue to use Win7 until your computer crumbles into dust and you're forced to upgrade.

Yes as Tadpui pointed out, there is no pressing need to upgrade and audio workstation that's doing what you want it to!

Getting an inexpensive laptop to use for the internet would let you try Windows 10 as well as keep your Windows 7 machine as a dedicated recording machine.

I have several computers that are now "locked in time" for recording purposes, one running Windows 2000 Professional, and two Windows XP desktops as backups for the Win2000 machine.

A few months ago I installed my old Cool Edit Pro 2.1 onto my brother's Windows 10 computer and it seems to be working ok for him, but then he only does a little voice recording.

Regarding MS really pushing Windows 10, I just read a couple of days ago that they are changing it to be a "recommended" update, so if you have your automatic updates set to receive recommended updates the same as important updates Windows 10 might get downloaded and installed automatically.

Hi,

I installed both "Cool Edit Pro 2.1" and "Cool Edit 2000" – in a "Windows 10" * 64-bit PC (aging, though: 2006!..) + a "Windows 10" 32-bit one: with no problem at all. They run like a charm.

* As I don't like "Win. 7" overall user interface **. So, for the sake of efficiency, I still use the old "Windows XP" – and, when a modern "Windows" is required: "Win. 10" (quite a bloat...).

[ ** "Win. 7": thick borders around all windows, even set to narrow, soon become an annoyance, I mean: on LONG work sessions, of course + opening and using many explorer windows & various softwares — as audiovisual creation or modification often requires. ]

Also, to avoid installing "Cool Edit Pro 2.1" every once in a while in a "new" machine (whatever its age :p), I easily / successfully converted it to a portable editor, using "Cameyo" (freeware version). The same applies to "Cool Edit 2000": tested OK.

About "Adobe Audition": I tested that one (a few versions, years ago, now) and encountered several soundboards &/or sound modules compatibility problems... almost every time !

Therefore, I stick to "Cool Edit Pro 2.1", to waste less time – though I understand that some users care about "Audition" more advanced features. But the efficiency + EASE of use of "Cool Edit Pro" are still hard to beat...

One – nasty – problem, though: trying to "record-what-your-hear (= speakers sound)" with "Cool Edit Pro", using certain "Dell" PCs & some other brands, turns out to be a nightmare.

I had to use "Virtual Cable" (freeware) and such tools — since "Dell" has disabled THAT (one or precise) kind of full duplex recording. Thanks to "Virtual Cable" it worked: at last...

... BUT: since "Windows" sound settings become TEDIOUS!, in that particular case, I rather use "Audacity" (2.1.2...), as it ships with an interesting feature, named "Windows WASAPI" — which solves the problem in a snap.

Though a very good (free) tool, "Audacity" being less intuitive, after recording, I switch back to "Cool Edit Pro" to edit the results (saved to uncompressed "PCM Wave", of course).

Vs. "Audacity", another feature "Cool Edit Pro" misses is the ability to save to "5.1 .aac" format: a little frustrating, knowing that its multichannel encoder works OK. Then, open the resulting 6-channel .wav in "Audacity", to recode the stream to "5.1 .aac"...

... while "Cool Edit Pro" is quite "talented" – usually not too much pain (if not among the best, on that point) – when it comes to resync. a desynchronized video audio stream: in multitrack view / timeline.

Last edited:
I too am still using (and prefer Cool Edit 2000) and on a Windows 10 PC. I've been using Cool Edit for so long I can't remember what I was on but pretty sure it was XP. I've had no trouble with all the windows upgrades and even used it with Vista on an old slow laptop. Since installing it on Win 10 I frequently encounter "lags, short lock ups" when processing files especially if it's a long file such as recording an entire side of a vinyl LP. It seems to have something to do with the temp files Cool Edit creates but I haven't found a solution. Basically in the middle of processing something, the hard drive light will come on and stay on, if I have the task manager running it'll show Cool Edit using 30 - 60% hard drive activity and it just locks up the software for anywhere between 10 seconds to a minute or two. Then it resumes. I feel like it's something about the temp file because I've noticed if I change the temp file directory it will stop for a while before resuming the lock ups. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing as sometimes the "lock up" happens when normalizing levels, running a noise filter or just saving a file. Another "temporary fix" is re-installing the software overtop the old installation. That will correct the problem for weeks or months. After looking at all the various music editing software I'm tempted to just spend several hundred dollars on a bare bones PC and installing Win 7 just for audio recording.

I've always have used cool edit pro from all the way back to windows xp then to 7 and never had any problems until I started using windows 10. it all works fine until I use noise reduction, the program crashes. sometime it will work and sometimes it will crash, and when you reopen the program you can recover the project from where you left off.

Driver Problem???

I've always have used cool edit pro from all the way back to windows xp then to 7 and never had any problems until I started using windows 10. it all works fine until I use noise reduction, the program crashes. sometime it will work and sometimes it will crash, and when you reopen the program you can recover the project from where you left off.

I've had such good luck I'm scared to reply in case I jinx myself :o But - back when I was having trouble I downloaded a trial version of Goldwave Vs 6.? I didn't like it, went back to Cool Edit and had no problems. Several weeks later I was cleaning things up and un-installed the trial version of Goldwave. I immediately started getting the lock ups and lags again. I downloaded and re-installed the Goldwave trial and again, had no problems with Cool Edit. This was back in January and still having no problems. I have no explanation but glad it worked for me. I can only speculate that it's some system file or driver that comes with Goldwave.

Hi,

I installed both "Cool Edit Pro 2.1" and "Cool Edit 2000" – in a "Windows 10" * 64-bit PC (aging, though: 2006!..) + a "Windows 10" 32-bit one: with no problem at all. They run like a charm.

* As I don't like "Win. 7" overall user interface **. So, for the sake of efficiency, I still use the old "Windows XP" – and, when a modern "Windows" is required: "Win. 10" (quite a bloat...).

[ ** "Win. 7": thick borders around all windows, even set to narrow, soon become an annoyance, I mean: on LONG work sessions, of course + opening and using many explorer windows & various softwares — as audiovisual creation or modification often requires. ]

Also, to avoid installing "Cool Edit Pro 2.1" every once in a while in a "new" machine (whatever its age :p), I easily / successfully converted it to a portable editor, using "Cameyo" (freeware version). The same applies to "Cool Edit 2000": tested OK.

About "Adobe Audition": I tested that one (a few versions, years ago, now) and encountered several soundboards &/or sound modules compatibility problems... almost every time !

Therefore, I stick to "Cool Edit Pro 2.1", to waste less time – though I understand that some users care about "Audition" more advanced features. But the efficiency + EASE of use of "Cool Edit Pro" are still hard to beat...

One – nasty – problem, though: trying to "record-what-your-hear (= speakers sound)" with "Cool Edit Pro", using certain "Dell" PCs & some other brands, turns out to be a nightmare.

I had to use "Virtual Cable" (freeware) and such tools — since "Dell" has disabled THAT (one or precise) kind of full duplex recording. Thanks to "Virtual Cable" it worked: at last...

... BUT: since "Windows" sound settings become TEDIOUS!, in that particular case, I rather use "Audacity" (2.1.2...), as it ships with an interesting feature, named "Windows WASAPI" — which solves the problem in a snap.

Though a very good (free) tool, "Audacity" being less intuitive, after recording, I switch back to "Cool Edit Pro" to edit the results (saved to uncompressed "PCM Wave", of course).

Vs. "Audacity", another feature "Cool Edit Pro" misses is the ability to save to "5.1 .aac" format: a little frustrating, knowing that its multichannel encoder works OK. Then, open the resulting 6-channel .wav in "Audacity", to recode the stream to "5.1 .aac"...

... while "Cool Edit Pro" is quite "talented" – usually not too much pain (if not among the best, on that point) – when it comes to resync. a desynchronized video audio stream: in multitrack view / timeline.

HELP!

I just ordered Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and when I go to play or record anything, I get an error message "Output Device Error - Undefined External Error". How do I fix this problem?

This is on Win 10 Pro.

Did you ever run across this problem?

I just ordered Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and when I go to play or record anything, I get an error message "Output Device Error - Undefined External Error". This is on Win 10 Pro.

I have been running Cool Edit Pro 2 for over 2 years now on Windows 10 - no problems at all.However, a simple question, which would probably also apply to early version adobe audition users, when recording in multitrack, is it possible to monitor the other tracks, without them recording into the new track?. Probably a very simple solution, but darned if I can easily locate the methodology!.

Back