Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: converter specs for all to read

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    thanks for your posts kaydis and vox.

I was wondering the same thing. Commercial stuff does not distort on the delta 1010. I also have sonusmans master of "secret heart" and it does not distort. Therefore, the problem might lie with the ultramazimizer as vox said.

Yadi,

I had seen the wamirack in magazines,and the specs blew me out, so I have always wondered why no one seems to have it. I havent even seen any reviews on the net.
    My mind is made up. Dont confuse me with facts.

The kind of girl I want, wants the kind of guy I'm not.

Thanks
    I'll see what I can hunt down on the WamiRack, but I did notice how they stated their specs: "High quality 24 Bit A/D D/A Convertors : 120dB Dynamic Range"

Hmm. All that really says is the converters they use are 120db. If I take that literally (and knowing marketing types I'm inclined to) then they never tell you what the S/N ratio of the whole unit is. All 4 inputs seem to have mic preamps, which is great, but makes me wonder what are the specs on the mic preamps?

The Q10 sounds interesting, but what really surprised me was getting a flyer in the mail for AardSync II. It was a suprise to me that they are marketing a dedicated word clock generator given the segment of the market they aim at. I get the impression a lot of professionals don't pay that much attention to synchronization.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Gidge
    Im not even gonna attempt to say the Deltas converters are better than the Lynx One's converters.....
    I am going to attempt to put your mind at ease my man.
    The lynx one card uses the exact same converters as the gadgetlabs wave/ 8*24 card. This is a good card, but a reviewer ranked it a little lower than a delta 1010.

Thanks

SPECS MEAN SHIT

Originally posted by CyanJaguar

I am going to attempt to put your mind at ease my man.
    The lynx one card uses the exact same converters as the gadgetlabs wave/ 8*24 card. This is a good card, but a reviewer ranked it a little lower than a delta 1010.

You know what? alot of sound cards use the exact same converters, does that mean they sounds the same? NO...alot of the quality of the converters has to do with the ANALOG CIRCUITRY around it, think about it. And FWIW, I really really hate the delta converters, I can hear an audible (really bad cloudy) difference between what I monitor through my console and what comes out of the delta converters..they are a bunch of crap in my book. If your recording and tracking with these soundcards, your missing alot of your mix. Try comparing them with higher end converters and you'll know what I mean.
    yep.

Thanks
    ok, I give up.

The review that I was just reading said that the lynx one had a subjective edge over the delta 1010. it was not an a/b comparison though.

sorry about that ametth. Many many people love their delta converters. not just the delta 1010, but the 66, the 44, the bunch of them in their respective price ranges.

And the songs recorded with the delta 1010 converters still sound better than most of the other stuff in the mixing clinic.

Hey ametth. I am looking at the lucid ad 9624 converters. What dedicated converters have you heard, and which one do you like best.

Thanks
    The distortion Ed heard could have been due to that particular unit. If I remeber coertly, Rip Rowan said something to that effect, one of the 1010's he had had this problem.

Or... maybe he was going through the monitor mixer. I can hear some difference in some material depending on how the patchbay/router is setup along with however my software mixer is set up.

or... it's a POS. If I haden't bought mine for under $600 I'd think so.

Do I think the 1010 is professional. NO. I don't think they have good enough quality control. I think the analog circutry could be tons better. switching between -10 and +4 changes the polarity. -that is absurd. I've heard the distorton Ed's heard. You can't push the analog stages of this card too hard, especially the D/A. I haden't heard it until I switched to a real power amp instead of my stereo reciever- it was like, "wow! this sounds so much cleaner.... uggh but that peak didn't sound right..."

-jhe
    -jhe

Thanks

Smile

yea probably not.

maybe some of us have the good units

Thanks

Question OK What about RME?????

Iv heard alot about delta being ok,,,,and not bad for the price,,,good cards,,,,but not the best,,,,,blah blah blah. Im currently in the process of choosing between the delta 1010- or the RME Hammerfall card. Since im a moron when it comes to specs,,,,,I'll ask you guys. Is the extra money spent on the Hammerfall card worth it in noticable overall quality???? or should I stop worshiping vanity and just be happy with a good ,,reasonable deal like the delta 1010???

Thanks
    RME is a good option. They use ADAT in out, from their converters to the card, or you go with seperate cards for the analog in out. It seems kind of confusing, you have to buy this... and that. Very solid drivers, they are ahead of everbody it seems.

More on the Delta converters. They sound really smooth. Very good actually... till you get 16 tracks going and then the dynamic range seems to dissapear, i can't really explain it, cuz it's not something that i hear all the time, it's certain material, the upper mids sound edgy and distorted on playback, solo the track, it's not as bad. With my GL card the highs seem edgy. I think I'll stick with the Delta still, get two channels of Lucid A/D/A running with the SPDIF in/out. Track and monitor mostly through that, use the Delta converters when tracking a drum set basically... on the kit, using the Delta I got a better sound than I ever had before, but trying to get a fuzzy tube MP injected vocal sound, the fine line between distortion and warm got smaller and smaller.

I was all buzzed about M-audio for a while, picked up the 1010, and some DMP-2's. The sounds impressed me, but over the course of heavier use, I'm realizing that this isn't great "sleeper" gear that's gonna give me pro sound for cheap. If you want that pro sound, you have to fork over the dough. It ain't happening with something under $200 per channel. (unless it's RNC )

Lucky me I have two options, the GL and the Delta, I use one or the other depending on what shade of "just good enough" to paint my sounds.

-jhe
    -jhe

Thanks
    hi james HE,

does this mean that you are not all that happy with the dmp2s?. I am interested in buying one off you if you want to sell.

let me know if youre interested. I just love the way it make my vocals all tight and fuzzy.

ps. YOu can get a symetrix 528 for around $250 on ebay. I hear they are real good.

Thread Information