converter specs for all to read

I have to absolutely agree that you shouldn't trust specs, there are far to many games marketing departments can play to make things look better than they really are. However, I think its a bit strong saying they are useless. Specs are just a datapoint. One that you have to take with a huge grain of salt. At the very least you can count on one rule: very few companies products exceed their specs. That alone is useful information.

A part of the reason for my large post was to make the point that there are way to many things that manufacturers shy away from specing. The S/N ratio of most converters is going to be far better than most people can get out of their system. I can't even meet the noise floor of my old Layla converters. 60 cycle hum in my system is at about -86db and I worked very hard to get it that low. Most modern converters have low enough THD that noise from EMI and hum are going to dominate. What I believe you have to worry about are things manufacturers don't talk about.

Many low cost converter don't even pass simple tests. Sonusman gave one story, although there are those that dispute it, it is typical of the few stories I've read about a handful of "budget" converters. I've heard of other people recording a sine wave swept across the frequency spectrum and found unstable frequency response below 100 Hz (not on a Delta converter). How can this be if they all use the same A/D converters? The answer is simple: there's more in the box than just one component. AN A/D covnerter usualy needs to be fed by an amplifier. The design of a balanced input amplifier with 115db S/N ratio, -100db THD, with no phase shift and flat frequency response is far from trivial. It is full of tradeoffs, often involving cost vs performance.

One of the most popular components used in many of the 110-120db S/N converters is the CS5396/97 made by Crystal Semiconductor. It costs $27 in quantities of 20 or less. So if the AD converter itself is less than $27 a channel, where's the rest of the cost of those high end converters that run $300 and up per channel? Its in all the stuff around the converter: a jitter free clock references, highly stable PLLs, high quality analog components, and a good quiet power supply. There are literally thousands of places to cut corners or even outright screw up the design of those parts of the system. Don't ever think that just because company A uses one of the same components as company B, their products are of the same quality. If designing were that simple I'd be a millionare many times over.

Anyway, I think specs are interesting. Obviously, beause I posted a bunch. The responses here have been useful. I especially wanted to thank Sonusman, as I was hoping to get his view on Apogee vs Lucid (I don't know why I didn't just come out and ask).

did i say they were better? nope, nowhere did i say that. i said that he hasnt tried them, so making a judgement without trial is not exactly the most trustworthy of decisions.

trust specs? heck thats my whole problem...I am inundated with marketing catch phrases and specs...the result...I still haven't bought a thing. I've been living on this forum looking for some conventional wisdom (i.e. people in my situation who are living my dream/nightmare). What about these specs (see below from EGO SYS WAMIRACK website)? Talk about all the features I need for audio, (giga) midi:

High quality 24 Bit A/D D/A Convertors : 120dB Dynamic Range
- Analog 4 Inputs & 8 Outputs : +4dBu Balanced/Unbalanced 1/4" (tip ring sleeve) phone jack
- S/PDIF Digital In & Out (Electrical & Optical) : Up to 24bit resolution.
- Normal Fs or 256 Fs(Super clock)
Format Word Clock In & Out for
External Sync
- Supports multiple Sample Rate : 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 64kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz
- Real-time hardware sample rate converter
- Full Duplex - simultaneous Record / Playback
- Uses 32 Bit PCI slot : PCI Bus-Mastering support
- Full LED Display : 8 Audio Signal LED meters
- Signal to Noise ratio (D/A) : 120dB
- Frequency Response: 10Hz -22kHz
- 4 ch Mic pre : provides 4 channels of Mic
Preamp function with 12V Phantom Power
supplying. Mic gain is controlled digitally.
MIDI
- 4 Port In / 4 Port Out, 64 Channel MIDI Interface
- SMPTE In & Out : Read & Write all
formats of SMPTE Incl. 24, 25, 29.97,
30 Drop and Non-drop
- SMPTE Desk Viewer & Generator software for Studio use
- Power On MIDI Thru function
- Full LED Display : 8 large Activity Indicators
- Compatible with all Major software
- Advanced EGO-SYS ASIC technology
- Microsoft Windows 95/98 MME & DirectSound, ASIO 2.0 Driver, GS I/F (Gigasampler v 1.6), EASI Driver

--- NOW I know its rookie of me to assume that any of these specs are real but these guys seem to have a lot of drivers on their site showing some real industry support. It seems to fit the budget ($600). Now what??

thanks for your posts kaydis and vox.

I was wondering the same thing. Commercial stuff does not distort on the delta 1010. I also have sonusmans master of "secret heart" and it does not distort. Therefore, the problem might lie with the ultramazimizer as vox said.

Yadi,

I had seen the wamirack in magazines,and the specs blew me out, so I have always wondered why no one seems to have it. I havent even seen any reviews on the net.

I'll see what I can hunt down on the WamiRack, but I did notice how they stated their specs: "High quality 24 Bit A/D D/A Convertors : 120dB Dynamic Range"

Hmm. All that really says is the converters they use are 120db. If I take that literally (and knowing marketing types I'm inclined to) then they never tell you what the S/N ratio of the whole unit is. All 4 inputs seem to have mic preamps, which is great, but makes me wonder what are the specs on the mic preamps?

The Q10 sounds interesting, but what really surprised me was getting a flyer in the mail for AardSync II. It was a suprise to me that they are marketing a dedicated word clock generator given the segment of the market they aim at. I get the impression a lot of professionals don't pay that much attention to synchronization.

Gidge said:
Im not even gonna attempt to say the Deltas converters are better than the Lynx One's converters.....

I am going to attempt to put your mind at ease my man.
The lynx one card uses the exact same converters as the gadgetlabs wave/ 8*24 card. This is a good card, but a reviewer ranked it a little lower than a delta 1010.

SPECS MEAN SHIT

CyanJaguar said:

I am going to attempt to put your mind at ease my man.
The lynx one card uses the exact same converters as the gadgetlabs wave/ 8*24 card. This is a good card, but a reviewer ranked it a little lower than a delta 1010.

You know what? alot of sound cards use the exact same converters, does that mean they sounds the same? NO...alot of the quality of the converters has to do with the ANALOG CIRCUITRY around it, think about it. And FWIW, I really really hate the delta converters, I can hear an audible (really bad cloudy) difference between what I monitor through my console and what comes out of the delta converters..they are a bunch of crap in my book. If your recording and tracking with these soundcards, your missing alot of your mix. Try comparing them with higher end converters and you'll know what I mean.

ok, I give up.

The review that I was just reading said that the lynx one had a subjective edge over the delta 1010. it was not an a/b comparison though.

sorry about that ametth. Many many people love their delta converters. not just the delta 1010, but the 66, the 44, the bunch of them in their respective price ranges.

And the songs recorded with the delta 1010 converters still sound better than most of the other stuff in the mixing clinic.

Hey ametth. I am looking at the lucid ad 9624 converters. What dedicated converters have you heard, and which one do you like best.

The distortion Ed heard could have been due to that particular unit. If I remeber coertly, Rip Rowan said something to that effect, one of the 1010's he had had this problem.

Or... maybe he was going through the monitor mixer. I can hear some difference in some material depending on how the patchbay/router is setup along with however my software mixer is set up.

or... it's a POS. If I haden't bought mine for under $600 I'd think so.

Do I think the 1010 is professional. NO. I don't think they have good enough quality control. I think the analog circutry could be tons better. switching between -10 and +4 changes the polarity. -that is absurd. I've heard the distorton Ed's heard. You can't push the analog stages of this card too hard, especially the D/A. I haden't heard it until I switched to a real power amp instead of my stereo reciever- it was like, "wow! this sounds so much cleaner.... uggh but that peak didn't sound right..."

-jhe

OK What about RME?????

Iv heard alot about delta being ok,,,,and not bad for the price,,,good cards,,,,but not the best,,,,,blah blah blah. Im currently in the process of choosing between the delta 1010- or the RME Hammerfall card. Since im a moron when it comes to specs,,,,,I'll ask you guys. Is the extra money spent on the Hammerfall card worth it in noticable overall quality???? or should I stop worshiping vanity and just be happy with a good ,,reasonable deal like the delta 1010???

RME is a good option. They use ADAT in out, from their converters to the card, or you go with seperate cards for the analog in out. It seems kind of confusing, you have to buy this... and that. Very solid drivers, they are ahead of everbody it seems.

More on the Delta converters. They sound really smooth. Very good actually... till you get 16 tracks going and then the dynamic range seems to dissapear, i can't really explain it, cuz it's not something that i hear all the time, it's certain material, the upper mids sound edgy and distorted on playback, solo the track, it's not as bad. With my GL card the highs seem edgy. I think I'll stick with the Delta still, get two channels of Lucid A/D/A running with the SPDIF in/out. Track and monitor mostly through that, use the Delta converters when tracking a drum set basically... on the kit, using the Delta I got a better sound than I ever had before, but trying to get a fuzzy tube MP injected vocal sound, the fine line between distortion and warm got smaller and smaller.

I was all buzzed about M-audio for a while, picked up the 1010, and some DMP-2's. The sounds impressed me, but over the course of heavier use, I'm realizing that this isn't great "sleeper" gear that's gonna give me pro sound for cheap. If you want that pro sound, you have to fork over the dough. It ain't happening with something under $200 per channel. (unless it's RNC :D)

Lucky me I have two options, the GL and the Delta, I use one or the other depending on what shade of "just good enough" to paint my sounds. :)

-jhe

hi james HE,

does this mean that you are not all that happy with the dmp2s?. I am interested in buying one off you if you want to sell.

let me know if youre interested. I just love the way it make my vocals all tight and fuzzy.

ps. YOu can get a symetrix 528 for around $250 on ebay. I hear they are real good.

Hey James,

i love my DMP-2...It gives me a very good sound that I am quite please with...but @ 80.00 I think you knew you werent getting pro quality....i think some of us here (not me) think they are getting pro sound out of their rig, but I think they havent popped a commercial CD into their players in awhile.....I know Ill never get pro quality...Ill be lucky to get demo quality.....

damn, where did I leave my point....oh yeah, the DMP-2...you may not have a pro preamp, but you have a really nice clean preamp......

Gidge, you got a way with words
damn, where did I leave my point....

I came across this thread (many days late) and thought man this is like a hot stock tip...went net surfing looking for a (the) deal.....can only find it for something like $200 each. Oh well...."snooze you lose". Sounds like you guys who snagged this preamp for $80 should be VERY satisfied...even if it doesn't become your ultimate preamp choice.

lucky bastards :)

Yadi,
I am a very lucky bastard. A reviewer thought that 4 channels of this pre could fetch almost $1000.

Anyhow, delta 1010 owners . What does the manual mean when it says that the outputs on the delta 1010 can not clip due to the 36 bit data path on the mixer?.

I had clipping with my old amp, but I could not get out of bed last night to test this with my new amp which can accept much hotter signals.

I do like the DMP-2's. especially for vocals. I'm defintly getting some in-line pads, in three different situations, the DMP's were COMPLETLY unusable. the first time, trying to track a live show with an NT-1. I could not find a useable spot on the gain knob, I could turn it way down, no distortion, but I wanted to record hot going to cassette, I moved the knob a hair and it was distortion city. Ended up with two 57's as my pair... As a drum overhead with the NT1, same situation, and even with a 57 on snare, I couldn't settle on a good spot, signal too weak or clipping. I've never moved the knob past 9'oclock. Maybe that unit has some bum circutry or something. I got the second one more recently, and haven't had time to stress test it yet though.

-jhe

CyanJaguar said:
Yadi,
I am a very lucky bastard. A reviewer thought that 4 channels of this pre could fetch almost $1000.

maybe $999, but not a grand... no way! :D

Anyhow, delta 1010 owners . What does the manual mean when it says that the outputs on the delta 1010 can not clip due to the 36 bit data path on the mixer?

I hadn't actually read that (you mean there was a manual? :))
Well, basically you've got lots or headroom in that chain. The DSP (pan, volume) runs at 32 bit. You wont easily clip the software mixer. After that, you still have to go through the d/a converters and the analog circutry, when things can get a little fuzzy. Also there must be a dithering step from 32 to 24, cuz the d/a is 24 bit, or they may just truncate the extra bits (I think this might even be preferable in this situation)

-jhe

you're correct james HE,

There was no clipping in the mixer, but there was mega overloading when I tried to do the test.

At what gain level do you run your inputs. I could not use the dmp2 when I had the delta 1010 at -10, cos it would clip the delta 1010 inputs without even stressing the dmp2, but when I switched it to +4, I could go all the way to 2 o clock and not have clipping.

I read that using a balanced versus unbalanced line on the dmp2 also affects the output.

Back