Convert Studio One proprietary midi?

revnice1

Studio One has its own proprietary MIDI format, does anyone know if it can be converted to a normal midi file?

Thanks - rev

Trying doing "Save as" then choose midi as the output format

I'm not sure that Studio One uses anything other than standard midi though.

Does it? I thought it was perfectly bog standard MIDI, the only restriction being that it imports MIDI without a GM synth patch being available - so once in you need to allocate the sounds manually. Export wise it saves the same way, but if you have sounds allocated I seem to remember you have to export those separately too. The MIDI files though, are perfectly standard MIDI files. It's a long time since I played with this one - and sadly I wasn't impressed with it.

I just learned that 1) Studio One does have a proprietary format (.musicloop), and 2) you can choose standard MIDI when you Export.

I spent a lot of time learning music notation and I don't understand a DAW that doesn't have a Staff View. I know about Notion but it's easier to Export/Import to Guitar Pro or even my old Sonar. I do a lot that involves MIDI driven instruments and the Piano Roll View is extremely tedious by comparison when you read music.

Thanks for the responses!

The musicloop files are not a propriety format of midi files. They are a different kind of file altogether.

Musicloop files contain a whole heap of extra metadata that is not in a midifile.

So yes, you may not be able to use .musicloop files anywhere else. However, as you have discovered, you can export midi files

It depends on what you do. I can read music perfectly well, but score edit in cubase gets used rarely to be honest. Your piano roll editing is for me faster and easier to see in the flow. A loose piece of music to the ear is very obvious in piano roll edit, but invisible in score mode. Broken chords or misplaced or random notes in a piano piece can be corrected easier in key edit. Repeated patterns of complex note lengths are easy to edit in blocks on one screen, impossible in the other. I use cubase sources score screens when I need to play in something and then score is easy. I cannot for example play in a sax line from piano roll style blocks, but I can from dots on a stage. I have a subscription to Sibelius, and my view of that hasn't changed in 20 years. Sibelius is excellent for when you need music on a page to play, and rubbish at being a sequencer, and cubase scoring is still very basic compared to Sibelius. They do, however, totally different things, so my collaborator uses Sibelius, and is less comfy with cubase and I'm the reverse. Just choice really.

Back