Concerns - potential mobile recording setup

schmengy

Hey guys and girls,

I need some feedback. A friend and I are considering starting a small mobile recording business in seacoast New Hampshire. We are starting from scratch and have set our budget at $7000. We will be recording weekend festivals and local bar/club gigs. Our wishlist of gear is as follows:

15" G4 Powerbook, 1.5gz, 1gb ram, 80gb hard drive
Digital Performer 4
Motu 896HD
Presonus Digimax LT
16 channel snake splitter
Glyph 120gb firewire hard drive

Some of my concerns are (may be elementary, please humor me with a response):

1) Am I correct in assuming that since this equipment is firewire, that I will not need any external power source?

2) Some weekend festivals will require me to record for 10-12 hours per day. If the battery in the Powerbook only last about 3 hours, what am I to do? Will I need to bring 8 batteries for the weekend? Will the battery drain quicker if I have the Motu and Digimax hooked up to it?

3) Will the Powerbook have any trouble with recording 16 simultaneous tracks all weekend long?

4) Is it possible to record straight into the Glyph external hard drive, bypassing the Powerbook? If so, how would I power everything without the Powerbook?

5) Do you see any potential hiccups/roadblocks/problems with the gear I have selected?

I may have more questions later. Thanks for your time.

Both the digimax and the 896 will need an external power source (in other words, they won't run off you powerbook). Assuming you're going to be recording amplified music, more than likely there will be a powersource you can plugin to nearby. Just add a long extension cord and an power isolation transformer to your equipment list :)

Back