Computers, MIDI, sound card, mixer, -- I have questions on studio setup -- PLEZ HELP!

kwes43

Hey Everyone,

I am currently looking to set up my home studio. I've had a drum machine/sampler and a keyboard/synth for a while and I am looking to expand, use my PC, and record my music with good sound quality. I have been doing vast research on home setups, and I am still a little confused as to what I need and don't need. My confsion lies in the sound card and mixer, the two major components for a PC based home studio. It is just me so I don't need to record multiple instruments at once, just one at a time. I will hook up my keyboard and synth through midi, and I also want to connect my guitar through audio. So it will be two midis an one guitar.
Do I need something like a delta 66 or even an omni studio or would an audiophile card be fine for that?
Do I want a card with preamps for vocals, or should I get a seperate preamp?
Do I need the omni studio, or should I just use an external mixer?
Do I need an external mixer or can everything bedone on the computer?
And when I record my final copy can I do that all on the computer or do I need an external device like a dat or an external hard disk controler?
I know this is a lot of questions, but I have spent weeks looking for answers and I keep coming up short. If anyone can help me Iwould really appreciate it. Thanks!

Ok, to get high quality audio in and out of your PC you will need a high quailty sound card, it will need to have as many INs and OUTs as the maximum number of tracks that you want to record into, or play back out of, the pc SEPERATELY.
If you never want to record more that 2 tracks at a time then a stereo card is fine, If you want to be able to record a stereo keyboard (for example) and sing and play guitar at the same time you will need a 4 input card, if you want to record live drums, you will need a 4 or 8 input card.
The delta Omni Studio is nice (and is probably a good choice for you), it's preamps are quite good. If however you plan on inviting Celine Dion over to sing a few tracks you will want to invest in a more expensive Mic Preamp and then the Omni would be mostly redundant and you could go with a card which doesn't include Mic Pres.
If you are planning to record live drums then you will need a lot of mic preamps, in this case a mixer is a good buy since you get 4,6,8,12,16 or 24 (etc) mic pres with routing options for a good price. If you want to mix your stuff with a real mixer and not in software then you will obviously need to get one.
You do not NEED a mixer, it is possible to mix in software and there are actually some advantages like automation and total recall.
You will however need a mic preamp for every mic that you want to record at the same time, to mic a guitar in stereo you will need two mic pres.
Not all pro/semipro cards have MIDI, but many of them will work perfectly alongside an ordinary PC soundcard so you can keep your soundblaster (or whatever) and use that for MIDI.

Good Luck :D

I agree with Vox.

If you are only going to record with one or two mics at once, a stereo card like the M-audio Audiophile or Echo Mia (both very good) will do fine. If you need more audio inputs go for a Delta 44 or 66.

If you want a card with built-in mic preamps, the Omni would be a good choice. Most people, not all, would rather save their money for outboard preamps.

No, you don't need a mixer unless you will be using several mics at once (like for a drum kit).

For MIDI, I suggest the Soundblaster Live Value ($50 U.S.). It also has soundfont capability--a very powerful MIDI tool.

You do not need an external device to record. You will use your computer's hard drive. You will need some recording software that includes MIDI. You can get Cakewalk Home Studio for about $50 - $100. It includes both audio and MIDI. Also check out Steinberg's Cubasis and Emagic's Micrologic.

if you dont have a mixer or preamp already, get the Omni Studio....you cannot get a 6in/6out soundcard, 2 quality preamps, and routing capabilities for that price anywhere......

now if you just wanna get your feet wet, you can start with a SB Live Value card, which has the SoundFont and midi capabilities as stated.....

now, midi wise, are you gonna use the sounds on your synth, or does the card you get need an onboard synth?......

also, are you gonna be using the keyboard and synth at the same time or separately?....

Tell us more about your PC. Processor, RAM, HD, etc.

You don't have a mixer, right? I can't imagine trying to do all the wiring straight into a card or break-out box, but then I've never not had a mixer, but the flip side is that I can't use it to mix my recordings, it is only good for input (which reminds me, why am I not hearing more about the new Event EZBus?) Will you need to record your synth or will it become just a controller, the way my old JV80 has? There are some incredibly good soft synths out there now, if you've got the PC for them...

-Niels

Back