Computer won't play .wav files

malgovert

I have an small problem. I just mixed down from Cakewalk (working fine) to .wav audio file 32 bit 44.1k on my Windows 10 computer. Last week it was playing .wav files no problem. Now, it cannot play any .wav files (including 16 bit, 24 bit) in any application (Audacity, Groove, WMP...) All I get is messages saying playback error or file format not supported. I am at a loss as to where to look.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Can you play MP3 files?

Are you getting any sound at all from anything?

It's possible that your W10 audio settings have changed

What interface are you using? As I (imperfectly!) understand things, if you run proper ASIO drivers Windows has 'no say' in the management of audio?

As ever, check your drivers.

Dave.

Gecko I am getting sound from the DAW - but there is something weird going on even with the audio settings in the DAW as it started telling me it can't be routed through the Master anymore... interface is Focusrite Scarlett so DAW audio is going through Output 1.

Dave I am running ASIO but will recheck drivers. Updated Audacity last night but still no go.

Audacity cannot run ASIO drivers! What does Windows Sounds report as the default playback system and what happens when you run the test?

I had an Ms update yesterday (no effing choice!) but that was for Edge and did not seems to change any settings...Mind you! I had to use Alt Ctrl Dlete to get Edge off the screen...BTARDS!

Dave.

For non-ISO applications, you will map through windows drivers. If you are not getting sound, you are probably going through your internal sound card since most computers for the last 15+ years have them on the motherboard. Just check which one Windows is selecting and select the card you want to use.

Adjusting your Automatic Updates for CODEC may be a possibility, or you can try downloading VLC for Win 10.

Thanks for your suggestions. I sat down again last night and solved it in 5 minutes. Went to Device Manager- properties- advanced, saw it was set to 16 bit, 44.1k, so changed it to 24 bit, clicked OK and bingo, everything is working fine again. Thanks again for all the input.

Thanks for your suggestions. I sat down again last night and solved it in 5 minutes. Went to Device Manager- properties- advanced, saw it was set to 16 bit, 44.1k, so changed it to 24 bit, clicked OK and bingo, everything is working fine again. Thanks again for all the input.

Awesome,,, Just to note, all audio devices on the system should be using the same bitrate.

I wonder whether the soundcard may have gone out. The answer to the question whether the computer will play MP3 files will show whether the soundcard has failed. Do you hear any of those "dings" that Windows gives you on many error conditions?

Back