Computer stuttering on playback?!

Nik D

Another brick in the wall
My computer has started to studder playback not only in Nuendo, but also on my desktop when I play music normally. I did a virus scan, nothing. I did Adaware and got rid of some tracking files, nothing. I looked through all the running apps, and nothing out of the normal. Hell I even restarted it a couple of times and still nothing. What might be causing this? It's driving me crazy! I'm running a P4 2Ghz with XP and I have 512 megs of ram. I have tons of HD space left to spare also. It's never done this before, and I can't think of anything I did to make it start.

I've got a Sound Blaster Audigy. I haven't tried going back to a previous restore point. Actually I'm not sure what it exactly does. Will it undo everything I've done since the last save point, including all the files I've gotten or made since then? One thing I'm going to try is update the drivers if possible, maybe that will do the trick.

Nik D said:
Actually I'm not sure what it exactly does. Will it undo everything I've done since the last save point, including all the files I've gotten or made since then?

My understanding is it only looks at system files, like the registry, drivers etc. Doesn't touch your data

I figured that was the extent of what rolling back does. I looked for new drivers, but of course SB dosen't have any listing of my sound card there anywhere. Figures. Just for kicks I did another restart, and it seems to have cured the problem, hopefully for good. Thanks for all the good advice though, I do appreciate it.

Back